Chapter forty

Aiden's pov

I get off the bike after Az, taking her helmet off and kissing her soft lips, because I just can't resist.

"You ready?" I ask since I don't how much of what happened everyone in school knows.
And I'm also still concerned about her health, it's not that long ago that she's been in a fucking coma.

Even the memory of that makes my stomach drop.

"Yeah, no, kind of?" She makes an adorable confused face and I kiss her again, enjoying the way she melts against me.

"If it's too much, just tell me and we're out of there."

"Okay, as long as you promise to not only worry about me. If you really wanna try to graduate you have to be concentrated."

"Don't worry about that Az. You have to get better."

"Yeah yeah, come on now or we're gonna be late to class." She says and takes my hand.
My hand engulfs hers wholly, which I love.

She isn't even that small, she's about 5'7 and still, our height difference is very noticeable.
But again, I love it. I love being able to pick her up whenever I want, carrying her around like she weighs nothing. I love holding up the book she's currently reading when I want her attention, and her not being able to reach it.

We enter the building and instantly there are whispers.
I'm used to it, but I would've thought after Katie's, the head cheerleader, death, people would be talking more about that.

I guess not.

"If it isn't Aiden Torres!" A voice shouts and I bite my tongue to keep from rolling my eyes.

"Collins." I answer dryly. It's not that we've got beef or something, but Collins is on the football team, and he's always trying to take the lead. I'm sure he thoroughly enjoyed the time I've been gone.

But guess what? I'm back.

"You're finally back huh?" He says, not sounding all that excited about it.
A few other guys from the football team start crowding around us, and I'm actually kind of glad to see them.

Most of them are chill. And I've even hung out with some of them.

"Yeah, I am. I hope you haven't been missing me too much." I reply earning a few snickers from the guys.

Collin's eyes slip to Az and I pull her tighter against me.

"Fortier." He nods and Az nods back at him with a polite smile, which he doesn't deserve.
No one surrounding us deserves to see her smile, but well I can't exactly hide her now.

"Glad you're back." Tony, a relatively new addition to the team mutters before sending Azalea a smile and walking away.

He's always been a shy kid, but he's chill and also a goddamn good player.

Just thinking of football makes my breakfast threaten to make another appearance.

I had more important things to care about the last few weeks.

But it still doesn't change the fact that I haven't been able to train with the team.

I'd be surprised if I was still the team captain.
I highly doubt it, but hope dies last.