Chapter sixteen

"What?" I ask into the room, dumbfounded.

What the hell is going on?

I was ready to slip into the land of nothingness and unconsciousness goddamnit.

"Those are bullet holes in the wall." Callan repeats as if I haven't heard a him.

I look to Aiden for help.

I hope my look says 'what the actual fuck is my boss doing here, talking about bullet holes in walls in the middle of the night
?!'

"He's right." Aiden answers and I throw my hands in the air.

"That's not what I'm confused about!" I groan "what's my boss doing here?"

"Yeah, please don't call me that." Callan says and I roll my eyes.

"Hey guys have you seen Eli? He-" Theo walks in, rubbing the sleep from his eyes, but he stops short as he sees us all standing here. And when he spots Callan his eyes grow wide. He smirks "to what do I owe this pleasure?"

When no one answers he rolls his eyes and addresses Aiden "what is your handsome brother doing here?"

I try smother my snickers because it's really not the time for laughing right now.

I need to know what the hell is going on.

But then I look at Theo again, and I can't help but chuckle at his confused expression.

"Didn't you hear the scream? Or the glass shattering? Or maybe Eli's barks?" I ask.

"Oh you know where Eli is?" He asks in return "and no I actually didn't hear any of that, I was having a personal concert. But what screams? Was there a murder?"

I put my hands on my face and groan.

Ugh I wanna go back to sleep.

"You okay love?" I look up at Aiden, give him a reassuring smile and nod.
He kisses my forehead his arm around my shoulders.

Callan looks at us with interest, but he also looks a bit weirded out if I'm being honest.

"I don't know how this could've happened. This is the safest neighborhood." Aiden begins and he really looks troubled.

I wanna try and help him find out what just happened but I still find it strange how Callan just showed up here.

Not that I think he had anything to do with the bullets but it's still weird.

I mean I don't know him that well, but from what I do know, I'm sure he's a good person. He's grumpy most of the time, but deep down he's good.

I don't think he knows but I noticed that every morning he walks down the street to give the homeless people a warm breakfast.

"Can we rewind for a second?! Once again, what the hell are you doing here Callan? Or am I missing something, and it's normal for you to randomly show up here in the middle of the night?" I ask.

Aiden and Callan both sigh.

I look at both of them.

I step away from Aiden and glare at him, he frowns.

"He was just supposed to pick something up that's all. It's just a coincidence that he was here right at this moment."

And what was he supposed to pick up? I wanna ask but I won't push him now.
We can talk when we're alone.
He won't open up with anyone here anyway.

"Guys I'd really like to go back to bed, so if someone could tell me where Eli ran off to that would be greatly appreciated."

I sigh "I think I saw him running into the direction of the kitchen." Well I hope it was the direction to the kitchen.