Surprises

"How long has it been..?" he trailed off staring at you, longing and affection making his eyes glitter under the dim lights of the cosy, quaint cafe.

"Six. It's been six years." You stared back at him, searching his eyes.

The waitress brought in the food, setting it down on the table gently as you both thanked her.

You picked up the fork, eager to get a bite of the meatballs in the spaghetti.

"Here, have a bite." he held his arm up. Bite sized meatball sticking to the end of his fork

You smiled and took a bite.

He had his gummy smile on as he bent his head and looked down at his plate of food.

"You know, your older self would've gagged seeing you do that." his shoulders shook as he laughed through a mouthful of food.

"I've changed. I guess, I have. I don't know why, maybe you do."
You stopped chewing and looked up at him.

Six years ago, you couldn't ever imagine saying 'yes' to that. But now you do.

"Yoongi.. do you still spend your days cooped up in your studio or have you made friends." He smiled a little, shaking his head.

"Things went a bit muddy after Nana passed away. I didn't have enough time in my hands to sit and make music.
Things wouldn't make sense anymore, so I moved on."

He paused, looking down. Swallowing hard. Eyes glazed over.

"You stopped making music?", your voice was an octave higher than normal. You knew there was a tinge of frustration laced in there.

"...As for friends... I have some, I guess."

Throat aching, you put down your fork. So many questions swirling in your head but not knowing which one would make sense.

"Y/n..." he took your hand in his gently. The warmth bringing to surface the tears that were threatening to explode.

"How could you.... how... could you stop making music.. How could you..", the only reason you could live apart from him for six entire years was never a part of what kept him alive all this time.

Then what was?

You swallowed back the tears, taking a deep breath and composing yourself.

He kept your hand in his, looking tenderly at your face.

"You don't have to blame yourself for any of it, you know that.
I was the one to send you away." He intertwined your fingers with his, as if holding you in place so that you wouldn't run away.

You hung your head, unable to look him in the eye.

"You know what happened", You knew you had to talk about it.
You knew this was coming, you had practiced this conversation in your head a million times but it still made your heart sink.

"I don't want to talk about that bastard."
Your head jerked up at that sharpness in his voice.
"I know what fucking happened, I know why it happened, I know how it happened because he was my friend."