Seconds

You took a sip of your iced tea, staring at Yoongi sitting across you with his cup of coffee.

He cleared his throat, fingers raking through his hair.
"So... Brandon..
He.... was... a friend..."

You took another sip of your tea, your eyes on him.

He swallowed.
"The only reason for him being there was because his Mother, she.... was raised by Nana."

You blinked a couple of times.

".. Yes. My Mother and her, they grew up together.
After my parents passed away, Mrs Park came by with Brandon.
She wept a lot that day..."
Yoongi's eyes glazed over.

You could barely make sense of things anymore.

"... She was a good woman, very kind, she told me to take care of Brandon. Don't ask me why, I still don't get it."

His eyebrows knitted together, lips pulling down.

".. Nana told me later on how she raised them together, they were like sisters..
She told me, Brandon could cause trouble if I didn't look after him..", he intertwined his fingers in his lap.

"...I disliked him.
I've always disliked him. But I don't know why he has always looked upto me in a way, whenever his Father beat him up he used to come running to me."

"But I've barely ever seen you interacting, I've literally always been right here..", your voice was almost inaudible.

"Yeah... I didn't like being seen with him out in public. I didn't want to draw his Father's attention.
So I told him to maintain distance.", he pursed his lips, staring hard at the table.

"... Weirdly enough, apart from you he was the only person who ever knew me. I don't know how or when I... developed this dependency with him."

"Yoongi... you could just tell me.. I was right there..", betrayal wasn't the right name to the emotion bubbling within you. It was more like a mix of anger and sadness.

He stared at you and closed his eyes. He sighed.
"Yes. But I saw the way you hated him, I didn't want to stir anything up.
Honestly I never gave it much thought, he never bothered me.
So I just let it be."

You scowled.

"... My mistake however was telling him how I felt about you.
After that dance, you know in school.."

You knew. You remembered.

"....That night I told him to stay as far away from you as possible.
He was smart, he got the hint."

There was a weird amount of warmth pooling in your stomach. You shifted in your seat.

"... What I didn't know however or pretended not to see were his feelings towards you.
Neither did I tell him to confess, nor did I tell him to stop."

He leaned back in his chair, fingers tapping against the table.

"... When we were together... ", your heart lurched.

"... When we were dating, he stopped coming over. He severed every mode of communication with me.
I never asked why
because I knew why."

You opened your mouth and closed it up, swallowing hard.

"... However, after what happened with your Father...
When you were about to leave, he contacted me."

He closed his eyes, keeping them shut as he continued.
"... I was desperate then. But I didn't have the courage to speak with you...."

He opened his eyes, his hands coming up to rub his face.
"..He told me, he was off to London as well.
He also told me that if you were to be in the same University as his, then he'd definitely look after you..."

He moved his hands away, looking straight at you. His eyes were clouded.

"... I was so lost... I said yes.
I trusted him...
I trusted that bastard."

You shut your eyes.