19. The First Wish

_____________________________________
14 years back
Eros: 5 years old

"Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Kate, happy birthday to you." Everyone clapped loudly and Kate blew the candles.

She turned 5 that day.

Kate parents helped her cut the cake and Kate took that piece in her tiny hands.

Everyone expected her to give that piece to her parents, but instead she came towards me and Iyan.
She held the piece infront of my face.

I looked in her green eyes and at Iyan confused. Iyan just smiled at me and Kate's eyes looked like precious gemes shining brightly.

I took a little bit of piece from her hand and made her eat first and then ate myself.

"Happy Birthday princess." I wished her was about to hand her my gift.

But before I could give it to her, she moved towards Iyan and they repeated the process.

"Your birthday present is behind you, my little lady." Iyan said and Kate turned back and there it was, Iyan's huge gift, a giant panda fluffy.

I felt so heartbroken because my gift was nothing infront of Iyan's.
Kate hugged that fluffy as if her life depended on it. I didn't give her my gift.

"Eros we are going to the central park to the wishing tree. Come along." Kate said holding my hand.

"But dada is alone and-"

"Your house isn't far away from the park son, we'll drop you off too." Kate's mother said.
Kate was just a carbon copy of her mother.

"Okay, thankyou Mrs. McAdams."

"I have told you to call me aunty dear." She said keeping her hand on my head.

Her mother was pregnant. Kate said it was the best birthday present she had ever gotten.

We reached the park and came under a tree.

It was me, Kate and Iyan.

"Mom told me that this tree grant wishes. Let's also wish under this tree. But remember to wish from bottom of your heart and with pure honesty."

All three of us closed our eyes and wished under this tree in our hearts.

"What did you both asked for?" Iyan asked looking at us.

I was going to tell him, but Kate stopped me.

"No. Do not disclose your wish to anyone. If you do that, your wish won't come true." Kate said.

"Okay then we won't." I said and sat under the tree.
Both of them followed me, and sat beside me, Kate between Iyan and me.

"I hope whatever we wished for comes true." Kate said looking at the sky. Both Iyan and I hummed together looking at the sky.