Nineteen

Venus walked to Nick's room, grabbed the speaker and played Lil Skies so they had background music.

"Bro this song is so fye," Chris exclaimed as he started rapping along to the song.
"Played this just for you this time Chrissy," she grinned at him. Nick and Divina were dancing whilst the others were still talking.

"Do you believe in mermaids?" Venus asked randomly, seeing as it was that type of conversation that just just flowed, bouncing off each other's thoughts.

"100 percent," Chris said confidently.

"How do you know though, only proof there is, is in pirates of the caribbean," laylah giggled.

"You know we've only discovered 5 percent of the ocean, how can you sit here and just say no there's no way mermaids don't exist," Venus said passionately, "like that's just facts there, you can't argue with that."

"Yeah but a mermaid is a mix of a human and a fish and we've only discovered like 10,000 metres deep. Humans can only go I think like 500 metres is the record idk? So make it make sense," Laylah argued, "like how are they able to survive more than 10,000 metres down if a human can only go 500,"

"I get that but do you not think that if humans evolved from monkeys like millions and millions of years ago that there isn't some type of human and fish hybrid out there?" Venus added, "AND there are fish down there; you know the one with the light thingy from finding nemo it's hella ugly but it's a fish and can survive all the way down there sooo if mermaids do exist they may just be hella ugly."
(Sorry I've just thought abt this topic at like 3am last night so I gotta get it out there)

"Yeah that's so smart wtf OR maybe cause they are part human so they're smart, meaning they know to hide from the land humans cause they'd just kill them," Chris chimed in.

"YEAHHH!" Venus yelled happily, dapping up the boy.

"Ok you guys win," Laylah sighed in defeat as the pair hugged each other laughing. Everyone was caught up in the moment enjoying each other's company when Matt walked in and stood awkwardly at the door.
"Hey guys," she shifted his weight from foot to foot.

"Oh hey," Nick said and everyone went quiet and looked at Venus to check she was ok. The girl's face grew pink as she felt awkward and self conscious whilst everyone waited for someone to say something, Matt spoke up again.

"I just wanna say I'm sorry for the way I've been acting recently. It was wrong and uncalled for and I know I probs ruined my friendships with you guys but I just wanna say I'm sorry," he said quickly running a hand through his hair nervously.

"Damn right you are," Divina said annoyed, "why did you do it?" She asked the question the boy had been avoiding the whole time.

"Uh, I don't really know myself. There's one reason I can't say but it doesn't excuse the way I acted towards all of you anyways..." he lowered his head shamefully.

"Well we kinda want an answer," Laylah said folding her arms across her chest, the others nodded their heads in agreement.

"It's embarrassing and hurtful and I don't want to say it," he responded, looking up with fearful eyes as he didn't want to make matters worse with them, he was looking at one person in particular -Venus. She looked at him with an unreadable expression which only reinforced the ambivalence in his mind. All he wanted to do was walk up to her and hold her in his arms. Her deep brown eyes now dimly lit with such a sad light contrasting to the warmth he adored so much. It made his heart shatter into a million pieces as he realised he was the cause of her feeling this way. All the feelings he had attempted to bury made its way back to the surface, all the work he had done to keep himself from texting her was useless as he stared at the girl with a remorseful look.

"Say it," was all she said. It was like the warm brown tint in her eyes had completely dissipated and turned a cold black colour as all emotion left her face.

"I don't wanna say it in front of everyone," he persisted.

"Do you not think you owe everyone an explanation?" She asked angrily, making him jump slightly, not expecting the sudden harsh tone. Almost as if she was waking him up, showing the damage he had caused.

"I do but I can't say it. Can I talk to you, V?" Matt asked desperately, "privately," he looked around at the others.

"I don't think so," she said as she turned around walking out of the kitchen. The boy ran after her.

"Venus, please," he called after her.

"I don't want to talk to you. You've made it clear what you want, I won't bother you anymore. I'm stepping back now Matt, no need to have to deal with me texting you anymore," she said quietly her head lowered, avoiding eye contact with him. 

"Just listen to me," he said almost a whisper.

"Matt," she looked into his eyes seeing only a desperate boy which made her heart hurt as she knew he was sincere however she knew she couldn't forgive him that easily. He needed to learn. "I'm not ready to talk to you yet, you hurt me, now I need space from you too," she said coldly. He took a small step back, surprised at her words. He had planned to have a conversation with her and they were going to talk about everything and then it was all supposed to go back to the way it was. Unfortunately, the conversation did not go in his favour and he was dumbfounded as he watched the girl turn the handle of the front door and leave without another word.

"Fuck," he breathed out as he ran a hand through his hair taking another step back. He looked down at his feet and placed one foot in front of the other, walking slowly back into his room as if he forgot how to walk. Matt didn't leave his bedroom the rest of the night, embarrassed by the way his friends perceived him as of that moment. As for the others, they stayed the night seen as Venus texted reassuring them that she was ok and that she was just going to go home and wanted to be alone. Her friends felt guilty but respected her wishes nevertheless.

Authors Note
Double update cause it's part 2 to the last chap. Venus and Matt finally came face to face but they're still not talking and this time it's Venus being the bad bitch. Also appreciate the random mermaid conversation that shit has been bugging my brain for days and this is what I came up with. Mermaids are real.

Anywayssss I hope you enjoyed ive had such a shitty day where I had a massive panic attack in skl in the hallway and I'm so embarrassed now. But I hope you all had a great day I love reading your guys comments they acc make my day so thank you :)
Be kind to yourself and otherss and remember you deserve the best no matter what you or others tell you!
Love Deven <3