Thirty Six

The sky, decorated with thousands of small, white sequins was a smooth gradient of navy blue and black. Scattered clouds covered the moon ever so slightly, allowing a silver shine to peek through. The journey back was smooth with little to no cars on the roads therefore the streets were quiet and only the buzzing sound of the engine and the group's laughter was the loudest thing to be heard. A slight midnight breeze cut through the humid summer air, the perfect way to end a hot beach day.

Nick turned the key and unlocked the door to their house frantically throwing the bags from his shoulders to the floor. Everyone else followed suit aside from Divina who rolled her eyes and picked up the fallen things and put them back neatly, gotta keep it clean. Laylah, Chris and Matt were having a debate about some random thought Nick had that continued from the start of the ride to the end.
Matt flipped the light switch, walking in the room with Laylah. All of a sudden, loud, fast footsteps were heard causing them both to turn around confused when Chris ran in and jumped on the couch slinging an arm around Laylah's waist causing her to fall along with him.

"You coulda just asked to lie down," she told him in an obvious tone but he just grinned and brought her closer, if that was even possible since the girl was already tangled in his legs.

"But that's boring," he replied, the smug smile never leaving his face.

Nick, Venus and Divina strolled into the room with blankets and snacks in hand, "Ok, we have ice cream, chips, the small sour gummy worms and just some Reece's I found in the cupboard. I know it's not the best selection of snacks but it will have to make do for now since I don't think anyones willing to go and get some more," the boy explained throwing the packets at them as he spoke.

"I'm too tired to eat right now so doesn't matter," Matt yawned and adjusted his pillow, stretching his arm to the back of his head allowing his hair to fall, perfectly covering his eyes.

"I'll have the ice cream then," Venus volunteered.

"Ok well I'll just put everything here anyways so just take what you want," he dumped the lot on the table and slumped onto the last couch with Divina. Venus sat next to Matt, frowning as he saw the huge distance she left between them.

"Hey you don't need to sit so far away, we don't have to social distance anymore," he chuckled and she let out a breath she didn't know she was holding and immediately jumped into the space between his legs and rested her head against his chest. She didn't know why she felt like she needed reassurance, maybe he'd change his mind on what he said, you never know. However, now she told herself that he actually liked her, she shook aside all the thoughts that second guessed everything and listened to the calming sound of his heart beat. Matt grabbed the grey blanket that rested neatly on the arm of the couch and threw it over them both, tucking it around the girl as she cuddled closer.

"You good?" He asked to make sure and she hummed in response, her eyes growing heavy. Low chatter could be heard in the background as Nick and Chris argued over what to put on as Venus and Matt drifted off into sleep.

"Are they awake?" Divina looked at the pair cuddled up.

"Uh, i don't think so," Nick waved an arm over their faces.

"You'd think they would have finally confessed the way they're holding each other right now," Laylah commented. Matt wasn't asleep but he wasn't fully awake and was too tired to open his mouth and join in the conversation so he just listened.