Twenty Eight

He turned his head and saw Kya walking up to him with a big grin plastered across her face.

"What are you doing here all alone?" she chuckled to herself. His anxiety came back as he realised he probably looked like he had no friends and that he was embarrassing himself in front of all these famous people. He was too drunk to process what he looked like that whole time and grew self conscious at the thought. His leg bounced up and down as the alcohol amplified this feeling.

"I'm not alone, Venus just left to get drinks," he replied, pressing his lips together.

"Sure," she playfully nudged him.

"I'm not kidding, she's gonna be back any minute," he defended, noticing the grin never left her face.

"Dude, i'm just messing with you, i wanted to save you from being alone with someone for that long, must get awks," she said earning a frown from Matt as the remark was spiteful.

"Uh, no... I've been friends with Venus for months, it's not awkward," he replied.

"Oh, you just looked uncomfortable to me but she seems really nice," she smiled, resting her head on his shoulder.

"She is really nice, she's one of the sweetest people i know."

"Yeah she's really pretty too, don't you think?" the girl moved her hand to his arm, cuddling in to him.

"Definitely, you're pretty t-" he stopped himself. Matt wasn't thinking straight, he had forgotten who he was talking to and it was a habit from weeks ago when he flirted with her as a distraction but he didn't need that anymore, "I'm sorry, i don't know why i said that," he quickly said, looking away from her.

"You think I'm pretty?" she turned her head to look up at him, giving him big eyes.

"Uh," he didn't know what else to say, he nervously played with the rings on his fingers as the tension grew thick. "Well, i mean you're not not pretty but i think i like-" his sentence was cut short by someone else walking into the room.

"Matt!" the familiar voice called from the doorway. At that, Kya placed her lips onto his before he could turn his head. His eyes went wide as she tried to enhance the kiss. Everything happened so quickly, he was too shocked to process what was happening but shakily moved his hand to her jaw, gently pushing her away.

"What-" he was about to speak when he got interrupted by Venus standing in front of him.

"Uh hey," she stood there awkwardly, shifting her weight from foot to foot, "I got your drink, Ima go find Divina and leave you two alone," she let out a small smile, placing the drink on the table in front of them. She knew she had no right to be mad at him since they didn't have anything going on but she couldn't help but feel disappointed as the little hope that they could one day go back to the way it was, diminished. Her heart broke a little but she still managed to cover up the hurt with a smile, a coping mechanism she picked up as a child.

"Venus, wait I wanna talk to you," he tried to stand but Kya's arm was still linked to his. His frustration grew as he noticed she was still wearing the same smirk she walked in with, 'what the fuck is her problem.'

"Later, you're busy, Ima go find Divina," the girl said with an unreadable expression as she turned to leave.

It was almost half past midnight and HerWay by partynextdoor came on aux. Venus' mind was racing, so many thoughts were going through her head at once and was short of a breakdown. She spotted Divina talking to two tall guys, one with black hair and tanned skin, the other white with long, blonde curly hair, they were both very good looking. Venus ran to her and immediately engulfed her in a hug, almost tipping the girl over. The buzz from the shots returned as the sudden motion made her more alert.