Ryujin's body

We enter the room and that's when I realize it's their palace morgue. I look at Chaeryeong and she has the same expression that I have right now, confusion. A part of me knows why we're here but a part of refuses to believe it.

"Why are we here?" I slowly ask.

Beomgyu snaps his fingers and two guys pull out a body from one of the cabinet looking thing.

Once the body is out, they uncover the face.

"We were too late. When we got her, she was already badly beaten and was bleeding internally. We tried our best to save her but we couldn't" Beomgyu says with his voice filled with sadness.

"You're lying" Chaeryeong says.

I look at the face and it is Ryujin. It's her body. Her face. Ryujin is gone.

"That's why I canceled our meeting from before" he says.

"She's gone" I whisper to myself, still in disbelief. I was willing to risk it all for Ryujin but she's not even here anymore.

"You're lying. Ryujin wouldn't die that easily" Chaeryeong states.

"I'm sorry" Beomgyu says with his head down.

Chaeryeong breaks down crying while I'm still frozen, staring at the lifeless body in front of me.

"Yeji, are you okay?" My dad places a hand on my shoulder.

"I-I don't k-know" I stutter.

"I don't know how I feel. I came here expecting to see Ryujin and tell her I miss her. I want to see where things go between us but instead I'm seeing her like this" I say.

"I'm sure you and Ryujin would have been good together" Beomgyu says and I frown at him. Why would he say something like that to me? It's like throwing salt at an open wound.

Chaeryeong faces my father, "Your Majesty, I'd like to request to bring back Ryujin's body to your kingdom. Please, I'd like her buried closer to us. She is still has her sister with us as well, please."

I look at him, "Please, dad." All I can really think about is what could have been and how is Yuna going to take this news.

"It's not up to me" my dad says so Chaeryeong and I both look at Beomgyu.

"I'm sorry but I can't let that happen. You can bring Yuna here and you can visit here anytime. My kingdom will be open to you" Beomgyu states.

"Why can't we take her? She actually has family with us" Chaeryeong says clearly unhappy with what Beomgyu said.

"Because she was a part of my royal guard. She will be buried along with my other guards that have fallen while in service" Beomgyu says in a bit of an angry tone.

"We understand. My apologies for my daughter and her friend" My dad says to him.

"Dad" I look at him with teary eyes.

I hate how this happened. I hate that Ryujin went back to the south when she could have been here. I would have been okay without seeing her for the rest of my life if she was at least somewhere safe. I hate that this stupid king won't let us take Ryujin. I hate that I feel heartbroken but never experienced being loved or love someone.

"We have to go" my dad then says to me.

"I'd like a moment alone with Ryujin, please" I say and surprisingly Beomgyu allows it.

They leave me alone and I walk closer to Ryujin's body.

I really don't know why I wanted to be alone. Now that I think about it, it's kind of scary. What if she suddenly comes back to life and I'm all alone?