✤thirty one

"the thing is

"the thing is..." mark took a deep breath. "about what i said after that...i-"

"you lied, didn't you?" tiffany asked. "about...you not having a crush on me anymore..."

"tiff, i-" he started.

"can we talk about this somewhere more...you know, private?" she asked.

"oh, yeah, um...we could go to the recording studio if that's fine." he said.

she nodded, and he nervously led her to the studio. he closed the door behind him and looked at her in anticipation.

"um, tiff..." he started again. "uh, i have to say this because i don't think i can hold it in any longer. i've been in love with you for as long as i can remember."

he stared at her, biting his bottom lip nervously. his heart picked up a fast pace as he stared at her smile softly.

"took you long enough to tell me, market." she chuckled and he felt his lips curl into a wide smile. he automatically pulled her in for a hug, wrapping his arms around her waist and he buried his face into her neck.

"you don't know how long i've been wanting to tell you this, tiff." he said, and his grip on her tightened when he heard her sniffle.

"mark." she whispered. "let me go."

mark was caught offguard as he pulled away.

"what happened?" he asked, noticing her sad expression. "did i do something?"

"no, mark." she sighed, looking away. "i just...i think i'm just being paranoid, i don't know."

"hey, look at me." he said, putting his hand on her cheek. "what's wrong?"

"look...before all this, we were best friends, right?" she said. "what if...what if something goes wrong? i don't want to lose you. be it as a friend or someone i love and i know i'm overthinking but..."

she looked at him and bit her lip. "i can't help it."

"tiff." he gulped, stepping closer to her. "i may never have had a girlfriend but i know that both of us will need to put in efforts to make our relationship."

"mark...you don't understand." she sniffled. "we're different. you stay here in korea, i stay in houston. you need to go around the world, while i want to stay home and be a good doctor. you're a celebrity for god's sake, mark. i just want...i just want to get settled once i become a doctor. i wanna buy my own house, get a boyfriend...get married."

"who said i don't wanna get settled too?" he asked.

"will you permanently move to houston then?" she chuckled bitterly and he hesitated. "you won't. and i wouldn't let you either, mark. this is your dream and i wouldn't let you leave it for someone like me. i'm no one."

"tiffany, you're everything to m-" he said, and even though he rarely cried, he could feel his eyes stinging.

she smiled sadly, putting a hand over his cheek and he melted on her touch.

"you've got millions of girls who are in love with you. even though they might not love you the way i do. but i think you're going to find someone among them." she whispered. "someone better than me."

"it doesn't matter because i'm in love with only one girl and that's you, tiffany." he said.

she stared at him with a slightly open mouth. she withdrew her hand, but he was quick enough to grab it.

"it's alright if you don't want it." he said. "just don't tell me to move on with someone that isn't you."