t h i r t y - n i n e

chapter thirty-nine

chapter thirty-nine

setting my paintbrush down, i jump up to answer the door. i'm met with bright blonde hair and another with broad shoulders.

"we're here! and we brought food!" i let changbin and felix in, leading them to the kitchen. i crack a smile at the sight of two of my very best friends.

a mouth-watering aroma of meat fills my nose.

"hey, where's jisung? i thought he was coming here with you guys?" i ask them, grabbing us plates for our food.

"i know, but he ended up going to minho's. he said they had to talk." lix says.

"oh"

"why? did you need sung for something?" changbin asks.

"no, just curious" i reply, taking a bite of my food.

-

wrapping myself up in warm clothes, i prepare to head out to see hyunjin.

"mom! i'm leaving!" i yell, my voice echoing throughout the house, bouncing off each and every wall.

"okay! don't stay out too late!" i let myself out, shutting the heavy door behind me.

i don't plan on spend too much time at hyunjin's anyway, we're just going to hang out.

i push earphones into my ears, letting music flow through them.

approaching hyunjin's home, i spot a girl on the doorstep, talking to his mother. i dip behind a corner, making sure i can't be seen as i listen in.  maybe a cousin?

i peek around the corner, i'm not sure as to why i'm doing this, but somehow i feel the need to.

i see them share a brief hug, and once the girl turns around, i match her face to da-eun's. da-eun from school.

what is da-eun doing here?

she takes off onto another street, clutching her bag close to her side as her high-heels click and clack against the concrete.

walking up to hyunjin's door once i'm sure she's gone, i place two knocks upon it once i reach it.

pulling the door towards her and opening it, hyunjin's mother reveals herself, clutching onto her handbag resting on her arm.

she screws her face at the sight of me, her skin creasing and wrinkle lines appearing clearly.

"hello mrs hwang" i offer her a pleasant smile, but she doesn't repsond.

"and you're here for?.."

"oh, i'm here to see hyunjin, your son"

"he's not here" she replies blankly, and my lips form a line. hyunjin like to blast music from his room, and i can hear it.

"but i can-"

"gosh! can't you just get lost for once?" the woman raises her voice. her words sting.

i notice yeji in the hallway, merely watching. tears prick in the back of my eyes. i can't take this anymore.

"i'm sorry ma'am, i really am, but could you please just explain to me what i've done to make you hate me so much?" i raise my own voice a little at the end, it's getter harder and harder to hold tears back with each passing second.

"i need to you to realise that you aren't good enough for my hyunjin." she states, and i scoff internally. she folds her hands over her chest, gazing at me.

"i'm not good enough for him? when and where did you conclude that?" i can tell that she is stunned by my lack of manners, and i usually wouldn't react like this towards an elder, but i really don't care at this point.

"that's none of your business," her words are stern and sharp.

"our relationship is not yours to decide either, i'm the one who's supposed to decide whether or not i'm a good 'fit' for him." i wipe away the single tear gliding down my cheek, watching her scowl at me.

she thinks for a moment, before shutting the door directly in my face.

all of this is becoming too much.

a/n!
no author's note but a baby lix

a/n!no author's note but a baby lix