The lost Chronicle

It started with a pile of books. Nothing more. He got curious. Ink would leave handwritten books in his library. Handwritten and new. Things that he didn't even know about yet. Information just sitting there, unknown to everyone but Ink. Ink, who wrote them. Who knew the secrets held inside. The secrets that no one would ever know besides those books and Ink. The curiosity was unbearable. He has to look. Just a small peak. Just a page or two. Nothing more.

A quick look.

The first book was leather-bound. Oh, the smell of a new book. So enticing. The smell of fresh ink on paper. The books are new. Never touched other than to be written in. He cracks open the book, enjoying the sound of the way the pages un-stick together. The untitled book. No indents on the cover. No written words on the first page. No summary. Nothing but pure teasing of the words hidden in the pages. He wonders what would be inside. What secrets? What would he learn? What was Ink trying to hide?

Something good?

Something bad?

~~~

He doesn't regret reading, but it was too much. He now knows too much. Ink- Rewrite, wasn't from this multiverse. He's not supposed to be here. The original Ink is somewhere else, the Ink that was supposed to be in this multiverse is in another. Living happily? Is he okay? Questions fill his mind. What about the Creators' War? Wars?

How many wars were there?

Battles?

Could they be considered wars? Rewrite was a part of them too? How- He looks around to see Ink standing there. He hasn't drunk any paints. Just staring. Staring. Oh, stars, what to do? Hide? Run? What does he do? What should he do? He's outclassed, outmatched, and he could never reach that level of power.

He gulps.

He decides to talk. Talking things out. That would work, right? Ink would understand. Ink has to. Right? Creators can be patient. They can be forgiving and understanding. Rewrite would understand. He could listen. Right?

~~~

Rewrite is understanding. He understood. He listened, he let him speak. Let him say why he looked in the book. He shared information. He filled in the blanks. Answered questions. Explained himself. Explained the Creators. Explained everything he needed to. Yet he seemed to have more to say, but would never tell him. He doesn't mind. Rewrite is entitled to have and keep some secrets.

He ended up becoming Rewrite's confidant. Someone to confide to. Yet, Rewrite would never answer the question of why their multiverse is known as Rewrite!Verse. Rewrite never tells him. Just place numbered books on the wall, all under the letter I. Some under K, others under H or C. Different letters, all have a few numbered books. Each has a different amount of numbered books.

He watches as they grow. Surprising, yet it must be a series of some sort. He doesn't know if he should ask about it or not. Rewrite told him not to touch any of the books. It makes him curious, but he won't look. He promised Ink he wouldn't. He won't look.

Not as the numbers grow.

The books under I seem to go up. One becomes five, five becomes nine, and nine becomes twenty. More and more. Some seem to grow slowly, some faster. Then the books under Sw. They've stopped growing.

No more books are added.

He decides to read those when Ink isn't there.

~~~

"Who's Swap?"

He shouldn't have said that. The way Ink's skull seemed to snap towards his direction. The fury and anguish. He shouldn't have asked. The books described Blue, but it wasn't Blue. He takes a step back as Ink growls at him. He needs to run. He broke Rewrite's rule.

There will be no mercy for him.

He starts to run. He needs to hide. He uses the library to help him run from the angered Rewrite. He gulps as he continues to run. He can hear Rewrite following him close behind, but he doesn't stop running. He runs.

And runs.

And runs.

And runs.

Until his library traps him. He should've known that Rewrite would take over the library. He turns around, tears in his sockets. He's sorry. So sorry. He didn't mean to. He just wanted to be able to understand. He didn't mean for this to happen.

"This is why I despise abominations like you. None of you extra toys should be here."

He flinches at Rewrite's voice. Deep and feral. He watches as Rewrite finds him, pushing himself against the wall. The lines and new face paints on Rewrite's face glow a bright red. He watches as Rewrite closes in, pressing him against the wall with a snarl. He turns away as he mutters apologies. Rewrite seems to croon to his whimpers. Nuzzling against him slightly before pulling away.

"Little librarian, you are now part of me. I won't let you go so easily." Rewrite leans in, close to the side of his skull. He turns away before whimpering, shaking like a leaf in the wind. Rewrite smiles. "No, no. Death is too easy."

The hand, sharpened at the fingertips, poised to attack. Aimed right at his ribcage, where his soul is. He remembers it pounding so fast as he cries out. The pain explodes from his chest before darkness clouds his vision. Falling into a death-like sleep.

Forever connected to Rewrite. That's all he remembers.