Jasmine's story.2

Ink sighs as he stands up. Things have gotten so much harder to do as he waddles into the kitchen to grab something to eat. Tacos and some coffee. He sighs again before walking into the kitchen. Does he want to eat? Does he have to? He purses his mouth before walking out of the kitchen and into a backroom hidden from the other rooms.

A second nursery.

One where he's hidden all the other paintings of Swap and Gin. Where he can see their smiles and feel their lingering coding swirl around him. He slowly falls to his knees as he tries to stifle his tears. It's only been four months. Four months and fifteen days. His wings curl around him as he whimpers. It's been so long and so brief. Has he ever fully grieved? He doesn't even need to think, he hasn't. He rests a hand over the small bump, he worries if the child is too small. He doesn't know.

He doesn't know anything about kids.

He's not ready.

He covers his mouth as he shuffles over to the painting of Swap, bright-eyed and smiling without a care in the world. He places a hand over the painted chest plate. "Oh Swapy, what do I do? What would you two do? I'm not ready. I-I don't-"

"Ink?" Ink stiffens and turns towards the doorway with tears still running down his skull. Blue looks around the room before his gaze settles on Ink. "Ink? What is this?"

Ink turns away from Blue, his wings fluffing out to cover and hide from Blue. He leans into the painting, grateful that he coated the paintings with a protective varnish. He just curls into the canvas, praying that Swap is still here. Holding him close. Swap telling Ink that everything would be fine. That they would be great parents. That no matter what, they would stay together. That they would be a family. Blue looks around again at the paintings.

That's one mystery solved.

Both fathers must be gone. Cross was right too. One of them was a Swap AU, and suddenly Blue feels more lost than before. Is he just a replacement? Is that all he is? He shakes his skull, Ink needs him. Blue crouches in front of Ink before pulling him as close as he dared. The tiny bump between them is now protected and safe. Blue lets some of his magic be absorbed into Ink as he whispers sweet nothings to Ink. He comforts Ink until he can find himself able to leave the room once again. He helps Ink out of the room, following behind and closing the door. He feels something swell in his rib cage at the sight of Ink waddling in front of him.

He feels like a soon-to-be father, and yet he knows he isn't the dad.

He feels like a guard.

He leads Ink to the kitchen and helps him onto a stool. "I'll make us something to eat, yeah?" Ink slowly nods. Blue smiles back, "Is there anything you're craving?" Ink leans in to whisper to Blue before pulling away. Blue presses a kiss to Ink's skull before heading to the fridge. "Coming up."

Cross and Dream come back to Ink eating and crying as Blue holds him in his lap. Dream and Cross come closer. Cross notices the coffee mug and goes to pour it out as Dream cheers Ink up. Cross looks back at them with a glass of water in his hands. Chara huffs, yet not upset, at the scene before them. Dream stands behind Blue and reaches forward to rub Ink's baby bump while excitedly talking to the baby. Blue just laughs and turns around so Dream can reach easier.

Ink and Cross make eye contact before finding themselves content in the domestic environment. Ink nudges his skull towards the cookies for Chara and Cross. His attention is grabbed by Dream as Dream falls to his knees and gently rests his skull against the baby bump.

"Oh! We're so excited to meet you! So excited! You're taking so long to meet!" Ink giggles, looking back at Sw-Blue with amusement. Dream sighs loudly, "Why do babies take so long? You should've just come from a tree. Much easier. Just like my brother and I. Then, we could call you something like... tree baby!"