Prologue

They say, "life is a never-ending roller-coaster ride," that's right. I can prove it in my own words because I experienced it. I'm a human living on earth. But, I'm so sick and tired of this.

I'm tired of rising after falling and falling after rising. That routine happens over and over as if we're robots. If I can only control the way this roller-coaster goes, then I'll make it a flat trail. So that happiness would be straightforward until the end, thus I don't have to drown and fall. Not anymore.

"What do you mean, you're not coming this summer?" I abruptly asked Britney over the phone, keeping it beneath my ear and shoulder while putting all my clothes in my luggage. Today's the day. Every summer, me and my best friends: Britney, Shane, and Peter get together as a tradition. We usually go to Manchester beach which is a little farther from our city.

It started when we were in 6th grade. That was the first time we spent summer together and after that, it became our routine. We enjoy it, we bond and get along because we are best friends. I know that I am one of the million people who are lucky to have nice and kind friends like them.

"I'm sorry, I promised mom and dad that we'll be on our own summer together. This is the first time in seven years that we'll be spending time together on a road trip." Right. Ever since 6th grade, she never got to spend summer with her family. Same to me, Shane, and Peter as well.

"Umm, with your real parents or adoptive ones?" Well, here's the deal. I hesitated a lot to ask her that. But I was just so curious about it. Britney told me a lot about what happened. The truth that she also didn't see coming. I feel bad for her. Because she fell in love with Nate who is her older brother and she didn't even know it. She also told me her real name: Macey. Now I really don't know what she's going to do next to hide and kill whatever she's feeling.

"Adoptive," she quickly responded.

"But Shane just told me that she also can't come because of some family stuff too," I demanded.

"Peter. Maybe you can ask him. I'm sure he'll come," she said as if she was being chased by a thousand horses. "Bye Charlie, see you soon!" She quickly ended the call as I rolled my eyes. Guess, it's just me if Peter won't come as well.

There's a possibility that he won't come. His father might stop him. After zipping the zipper of my luggage, I immediately looked for Peter's number. Once I found it, I clicked the call button. "Hey, Peter! You'll come right?" My eyes were barely open and I was sweating. I hope that he would come. I don't want to go to the beach by myself. It would be too weird for me. I won't be able to enjoy it that way.

His cold and manly voice appeared from nowhere over the phone. "Oh, yeah. I am coming, I'll pick you up is that okay?" Finally! Someone I would go with. But it's just me and him. Darn it.

Britney isn't coming so as Shane. Ugh!

"Oh, okay. I'll be waiting for you," I smiled though I know he didn't see me. At least his dad didn't stop him or do anything wrong which I was already imagining in my mind. I ended the call and picked up my luggage from the bed. For three months, I would leave this house, this room, and the people. That's it! I almost forgot one thing...

I rushed to my bookshelf and grabbed one of my unread books. All Your Perfects by Collen Hoover. Shane recommended it to me saying it's one of the best books she read in her entire life. I couldn't argue because it was from her, I trust her when it comes to literature. That's what she's good at. So sad she won't be coming this summer.

"Charlie Brahms!!!" I heard my dad screaming from the staircase. Oh no! He never screams my full name unless he is mad. This means... I probably did something wrong which he found out. I'll be losing my phone again if it has to do something about one of his stuff.

Last month I accidentally poured his shampoo on the toilet. I didn't mean it, I was halfway asleep and so I thought it was water. Stupid I know. He kept my phone away for three weeks and I got it just last Saturday. I am so not going to lose it again.

"Yes, dad? Everything- alright?" I was sweating and too nervous to speak right. Then, from nowhere, I saw him standing in front of me beside the door of my room. I awkwardly smiled to hide the nervousness I was feeling. What is it this time?

"No," he grabbed something from his pocket and it made me gulp. No way. I think I already know what is it. He crossed his arms and eyed me. This is making me more uncomfortable. "What was Mr. Anshan doing on the sink?"

Mr. Anshan. That's one of his toys, which he calls figurines. And he gets mad when we call it toys. I think he even loves that more than he loves me as a daughter. He's so obsessed with it that he takes care of it like a pet. Keeps it in safe places, he never lets anyone touch it even visitors. He says that it shouldn't be touched because it's a "for your eyes only" item. Seriously? I don't even see anything special with that silly little toy except that it's more expensive than a car. "I don't know, ask mom maybe," before I could get in trouble, I tried my best to run as fast as I could to the front door of our house after I heard a beep. Probably Peter's car.

"Come back here, Charlie Brahms!" I heard him screaming and I could even afford to laugh as I rushed into the car, opened the door, and hopped in.

The real thing that happened to Mr. Anshan is that I made a bet with Britney that if I could show her something more expensive than a car that I own, she would give me thirty bucks. And she did after I showed her a picture of dad's toy which I took in the kitchen.