Chapter 38

Charlie's POV

I'm proud of my second-runner-up finish. It's not bad since it's my first time. To be honest, it's a huge accomplishment. Maybe next time when I'll join another pageant, I should look for a handler that could help me more. I know that this is just the beginning of my journey. I can't believe it started at the age of twenty. Not when I was younger. I was too scared of falling back then so I didn't try and I also thought that my dream was too far away for me to reach.

I should have tried, explored, and experimented in the olden days. Good thing that I didn't refuse Peter's offer. I almost did. He's the one to thank for what I have now. As the other girls began marching inside, changing their clothes, and some even still hurt that they didn't make it to the final five, I watched the daughter of Mr. Mayor wave her hand with the golden crown on her head containing white pearls. Someday, I would wear my own crown too.

I smiled and she remained on the stage waving over and over to different sides. People began leaving and the staff got off the stage. I went back to my desk and started removing the thick makeup I put on earlier. It was very heavy on my face as if I was carrying a hollow block. Finally, the show is over and I can take it off. I just realized how hard a model's job is. Especially the ones who require tons of layers because of pimples and acne. At least my face is not that rough.

My hair is a little frozen because of the moose I applied and my lips are stained with the red lipstick I can't remove anymore because it's a 12-hour resistance tint. I would have to wait until the night or eat lots of food and drinks so it could get removed. I wear makeup sometimes but not this thick. My gown's also a little heavy. I chose it because of the style. I had a hard time carrying it on stage but when I saw Peter all alone in the crowd; frozen and speechless as he watched me, it inspired me to do better.

And I did. I regret nothing about my performance. I think it went the way I wanted it to. What I love the most was when I looked at Peter during the question and answer portion, I saw the happiness when I mentioned his name. I didn't expect a question like that because the three girls who went first before me were asked about the politics, environment, and economic status of our country. And there I went, has been asked a personal question.

At least it was easy unlike the question given to the first girl where she had to answer the issue of what happened in the rigged rumor about this year's election. I had no single idea about that. Good thing I wasn't her. "There's the girl!" I heard a sarcastic-familiar-graceful-girly voice from my back. It made me turn around because I thought she wanted to talk to me.

Oh, Amber. She walked towards me with her arms wide open waiting for a hug while holding a thick smile on her face. I smiled back and took her hug offer. She gently tapped my back and I did the same to her. "Congratulations! You nailed it! That was such a very good performance." I let go of her and looked her in the eyes while our arms are still stuck into each other.

"Thank you so much," I stated.

"I hope to see you again next year and I know that you can win!" I giggled. I don't know if I would like to join next year. Peter already has led me back to this track so perhaps next summer, I would be in a pageant camp or an organization. "Yeah, me too." I faked my words. Well, we don't know. No one does. I might come back for another pageant. I'm enjoying it again.

I got back to my desk and proceeded in removing my thick makeup. If there's one thing I regret doing tonight, it's that I wore thick layers and now I can't remove them right. My eyelashes out, blush on too, and eyeliners. But one thing is sticking to me as if it would never leave me like a mole: my lipstick.

I remembered that this is a 12-hour resistant tint so I would have to wait until tomorrow or eat a lot and drink so that it could get removed.

After I put my usual clothes back on: My blue jeans and brown oversized shirt, I carried my bag containing the heels I wore together with the dresses and gowns then left the backstage with a smile on my face, holding all the good memories in my mind.

I walked down the stage and was surprised as Peter ran to me with his arms wide open. I ran to him back and took his hug offer and pat his bag like what Amber and I did earlier. What's with these people who run and then hug me like I've been gone for several years.

"I'm so proud of my best friend." He hugged me tighter.

"Thank you so much." We giggled together until he finally lets go of me.

"You know who else is proud?" I frowned.

"Who?" He moved away and my jaw dropped when I saw Chance in a blue hoodie while wearing a smile. I didn't think anymore and just immediately ran to him. But I was stunned when he lifted me and the air came slapping me. "Oh!" I screamed in laughter as he giggled along.

I felt his chest and his skin on mine as I rose my hands in joy and my eyes were held on the ceiling with chandeliers on them. "I'm so proud of you, Charlie!" He whispered in my ears and it made me smile. It makes me happy to know that all the people around me are so proud. Including myself, I'm proud of what I've done.

"You nailed it! Congratulations!" He said again. His hands are on my back and my arms are wrapped around his neck like we're the only ones around here. I feel the warmth of his hug. It's more than what I could wish for.