Chapter 35

A week has passed by and it went well, like all the other weeks. Maybe I was wrong. I thought that this summer would be the worst summer in our history. Turns out, in every unseen way, it is the best one I could ever wish for. There are only one and a half weeks left for us to enjoy our time and after that, we'd be back to our normal lives. Me being with Shane and Britney in eleventh grade, which is our first year of senior high school, and Peter would be back at his little basketball games and perhaps getting hit by his dad. We'll be back to normal best friends as if he never admitted...

I don't want to think about it.

Not anymore.

Last Monday, Peter and I talked a lot about our dream jobs. Of course, I expected him to say that he always wanted to be a pilot and he did. I don't get why he was surprised when I told him I want to be a beauty queen. I always told him that before; together with our other friends. Maybe he wasn't paying attention to those times.

Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed a lot of becoming a beauty queen. Wearing stylish dresses, golden and silver crowns, shiny gowns, perfect bodies, and colorful swimsuits with capes or scarfs. I remember when I was a kid, I used to watch Miss Universe and look up a lot to the girls winning. I still have a picture I took with one of the winners when I was in fourth grade.

And sometimes, I would sneak into mom and dad's room, I would wear my mom's high heels and some of her dresses. Sometimes in the bathroom, I would even act like I'm introducing myself, answering a question, and getting a crown. This is why I always spend two hours taking a bath.

Back in the day, I broke two of mom's favorite heels. And she never found out. When I was fourteen, I realized how hard it was for me to achieve my dreams. I was born and raised in a non-pageant-oriented country and I was never good enough. Like I'm not that sexy, I'm not that beautiful, not that smart, and most especially, if I would join a pageant, I might look like a dwarf with the other candidates.

So, I gave up. I set aside my dreams and focused on studying, family, and my friends. I realized that I had to be realistic. Britney always tried her best to cheer me up but I know that the stars are not aligned for me to be a beauty queen. It's too far away for me. Though I want it, I can't get it. I'm fine with watching others live my dream.

Many people told me I have potential. Who did?

Mom, Dad, Shane, Britney, Chance, and let's add Peter who recently said it. Well, of course, they would say all of those things. They're my family. They won't say that I can't rich whatever I want to. They would be fake just to make me feel loved and supported by them.

"Hey." He greeted me as I went out of my room and began walking down the stairs with him by my side. "Hey, what are you up to?" I greeted back.

"Nothing. Just been waiting for you to come out because I have something for you."

"Something for me?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, boy you're exciting me!"

"Keep it for yourself."

"So what is that surprise?"

"If I tell you it won't be a surprise anymore." He giggled. "It's for you to find out later on." He winked and led me to the way.

"Have you had breakfast already?"

"No, not yet."

"Good, let's have one together."

"I don't have a choice. Who am I supposed to have it with? A stranger?" He really has that sense of humor that can lighten me up whenever I need it. And sometimes though I don't.

"Hey, Amber." He smiled and rose his hand to greet her. She smiled back and did the same with her hand. Since when have they been close?

"Menu please." She grabbed the two folded thick cardboard as she offered them to him. We took one of the empty seats and sat side by side.

"Ready for the surprise?"

"Yeah, always."

"Okay, close your eyes, no cheating." I never knew he was a fan of surprises. The way he makes me close my eyes for it gives me goosebumps and sends me off a lot of nervousness as my adrenaline rushes as if I'm being chased by sharks. I don't know what is it that I'm so excited about right now. I shut them off and behaved my hands on the table.

"One, two, three four, five... and now, open your eyes!" I did what he said. I looked up, looked to the left, look the right. No balloons, no cake, no huge crowd, no decorations, or anything that's involved in a party. Wait, was I expecting a party? I wasn't but most of the time when I hear surprises, I think of parties. I looked down and found a piece of pink paper with some printed fonts of different words and a picture of a crown. "What's this?"

I held it up but kept my eyes on him. "Read it to find out," he gracefully laughs and excitedly leaned toward me and watched as I put my eyes on the paper which was saying in a big bold font:

Search for Miss Mancheston Beach Paris

When I saw those six words, I already figured out what is going on. Search for a candidate.

"Umm, the Miss Mancheston pageant, right?"

"Yeah."

"What am I supposed to do with this?"

"Charlie,"

"What?"

"Remember just a day ago, you told me what your biggest dream is and you said it was to be a beauty queen. Amber told me yesterday that a pageant would be held next week. So, I signed you up."

"You signed me for a pageant? Pet-" before I can finish talking, he halfway stood and shut me down.

"Ssshh. I know you're not yet ready but... You won't know unless you try. Look, you said you gave up on your dream before, but it's already right in front of you! You shouldn't be wasting this big opportunity! It's your dream walking towards you, are you just going to let it pass by?"

"I know, but, Peter..."

"No more words, okay? If you don't want it then I'll give it to somebody else." He sarcastically stated as he sat back down and pretended like he was going to let the paper fly away. I have no choice. He signed me up can I withdraw?

"Fine!"