Chapter 14

"When can you get out of here?" I asked.

"The doctor said I can go tomorrow. Get back to practicing." He calmly responded with his hands on his lap.

"Basketball's the reason you got attacked- " before I can finish, he interrupted. "I can take care of myself. I promise to bring my inhaler with me." he placed his palm on his chest and the other one up in the air as if he's a politician who's making an oath.

"You promise, huh? Make sure!" I scolded. I don't know why but he becomes cuter when I scold him.

For a moment, we said nothing to each other. We were silent, frozen, and staring only. "You just go now, you should enjoy this summer." He broke the quietness. A slight smile grew on his face. I nodded, but my answer was against his suggestion. "No, I won't leave until I want to." I don't know when I would want to leave. Seems like I missed him a lot and now I just want to stay here until he gets admitted off. "Whatever," was all he said before he dropped his body onto the bed.

I rolled my eyes. If there's one thing I want to call him and use as his nickname, it would be Mr. Whatever. When he doesn't like my idea or suggestions, he says whatever. And he would end up with no choice but to take what I suggested.

I can see the strings attached to his chest which I don't know what for. Boys are going to be boys. Careless. Like Chance, they all don't care if their lives are going to be at risk as long as they're happy with what they're doing. He loves basketball and even if he's asthmatic, he keeps on soaring high.

I lay down beside him and he slowly wrapped his arms around my belly. They're cold. Cold enough for me to say that he's been here for a long time already. "Hey! Don't fall asleep yet!" I almost yelled. Chance falls asleep very easily. When I say very easily, I mean with just a minute. I am kind of jealous, to be honest. Because it takes me an hour or two before I can finally sleep. While, even in the most unusual times, he can sleep easily. Like when it's very noisy and there are a lot of people around him.

"I'm not," he groaned a little. Oh no. I already know what this means. I turned around to check if he was still awake. But like what I expected, his eyes are already closed and he's already dreaming. Fast asleep. "Darn it! I told you not to sleep yet because I'm still here. Do you know how far I went just to be here? Then you're only going to sleep beside me and hug me this tight like a pillow?" I whispered. I know he can hear me though he looks like he isn't listening.

Scolding him is worth it because he always takes what I tell him. He doesn't have a choice. "Am I interrupting something?" The door creaked when Tristan entered. "Keep your voice down! He's sleeping," I don't know why I said that. First, I wanted him to wake up and now I'm telling Tristan to shut up because I don't want to wake Chance. I really don't understand myself anymore.

He nodded his head and slowly closed the door. The more he tries not to make a noise, the more it creaks. "Just shut it immediately!" I almost screamed. I began removing his hands from me and stood from the bed.

"Can you tell me in full detail what truly happened for him to be here?" I gave him that one tell me or you're dead look and he let out a nervous laugh.

"What full details do you mean?" He played dumb.

"Full details! I know how long Chance has been playing basketball and his asthma never attacked him because of it. I'm sure there's another reason you brought him here." I was so sure and confident in what I said. Because I know that I'm right. I smelled something fishy when I hugged him. Not literally but that one feels when you think your boyfriend isn't telling your everything you need to know.

"I suppose he didn't tell you everything." He smirked. He even brags about it. That he noticed what happened.

"Just tell me!" I began being more serious on the outside but inside, I am feeling nervous too. I don't know why. "Okay..." he rose his eyebrows and widened his eyes on purpose. Before speaking, he pressed his lips and slapped his hands together. Darn it! Don't make a noise!

"Well, we were playing against the other camp and they lost so they started a fight saying we cheated. At first, Chance didn't say anything and let the other players say what they had to. He kept calm. But then out of the blue, one of the other camp's players started talking trash about you like you're ugly and everything disgusting. Chance got mad and punched the guy who punched him back. They fought until he couldn't breathe so we took him here. As you can see, he looks beaten up." He awkwardly stated.

So the reason why Chance is here right now is because of me?

Hold up.

What was that again?

"Are you sure?" I asked to confirm it.

"Yeah." He answered. "Chance fought with the players of the other camp because they insulted you. And Chance didn't like that. In the end, he lost the fight." I barely smiled. Gosh, what the heck was that? I want to hug him right now so tightly but I don't want to do it in front of Tristan.

I feel bad that he's here in the hospital because he defended me to whoever those guys were and he didn't even tell me about it. "Why didn't Chance tell me the truth in the beginning?" I inquired. He raised his shoulders and took a bite of the chocolate bar he was holding.

"That's what I don't know. Maybe because he thinks it's nothing to tell you about? I really don't know." He shook his head and then kept eating.