Chapter 39

"You really nailed that competition," it already has been an hour that Chance and I are talking to each other and he has been complimenting and congratulating me over and over as if he can't get enough of telling me how much I did great tonight. "Thank you for the seventh time," we both giggled, and he looked down at the ground as he ran his fingers through his hair.

The wind is blowing my hair, and it is blocking my sight, so I took a piece of it and tucked it behind my hair. I can hear the owls howling and the crickets making their sound. I slowly sat down on the bench in between two tall trees and he parked himself beside me. The leaves of the shrubs are blocking the sky and I can't see the stars. Never mind, because the breeze feels good.

As I swung my feet, I rested my arms on my thighs. "Are you okay now?"

"Umm, yeah. It has been two weeks anyway, so..." It's not that long, but I should not overthink about it again.

"I forgot to tell you something?" I just realized there's something I need to tell him more important than his stay in the hospital. Well, actually, it's all the same.

"What?"

"I know why your asthma attacked you." His cheeks turned pink after I saw the guilt in his eyes, and sweat slowly dripped down his face though it's cold. I don't know if I should scold him or laugh at him. We've been talking online every day but I never told him about it because I know my boyfriend. I know what he would do. He will just ignore my messages when I talk about it and will say bye then won't come back to our conversation unless I'm done with the issue. This is perfect timing.

"Look, Charlie, I didn't want to do that in the first place. They started the fight!" I can see how he struggles to defend himself with the way he speaks.

"Okay, but why did you still have to fight back? You could have just shut up and left. If you probably did that then it was less trouble to you."

"I know. I tried to. But it's a different talk when they're being rude to you! I controlled myself, I held back my anger, and I tried to lower my temper but they were too much. They broke the boundaries saying that you are an ugly-hearted girl who once pushed an old lady to the pool when you were a kid." Pushed an old lady in the pool? I bet that the gossip came from a guy. Because guys aren't good when it comes to keeping gossip. They end up changing the story without even trying to. I can tell it because I always hear my dad unintentionally giving fake news to mom and that's what they always argue about.

"You know that it wasn't true, and you know the real story. So you should have just left."

"I couldn't. Because the people around us believed what that guy said. So I had to defend you." I couldn't help but giggle. Darn, did I giggle with an unfunny statement? "Umm, are you laughing?"

"Sorry," I replied while trying to hold my laughter back until I could.

"It's not funny. If you only heard how they ruined your reputation in front of a lot of people. I bet you couldn't hold your temper too. I know you." Pretty right. I do have a hot temper most of the time but right now I don't understand what he did because I don't completely know what truly happened that night or what those guys said.

I still believe that he should have got himself out of the fight though. "Okay, fine." I took a deep breath. It usually helps me stop my laughter.

"Anyway, how's your summer here?" He changed the topic.

"Nice. As you can see, just unlocked a new achievement!" He nodded.

"What about you? How's basketball rehearsals?"

"Far from perfect but it's good, to be honest. Our team has been winning seven games straight, two more wins and we're the champions for the rehearsals only and it's amazing!" I understand nothing when it comes to basketball and I don't appreciate it yet. I don't know but sports are just not my thing.

I nodded to not make it obvious that I didn't understand him. "That's great." I faked a smile.

"By the way, why is Peter not in their camp? He's supposed to be there."

"We actually don't talk about his career." We never did. Well, we did but just once and I don't want to be the one reminding him of some hurtful memories so I always keep my mouth shut. He knows nothing when it comes to Peter's personal life and when I say personal, I mean his situation with his dad.

"Did he quit?"

"I just said that he didn't mention to me anything about it." He nodded and it was a moment of silence prevailing between us.

Until "I almost forgot." He said.

"What?"

"There are still two people who you haven't seen."

"What do you mean?"

He didn't answer my question but screamed, "come out now you girls!"

I frowned but was too stunned to speak when I saw two girls hopping from the bushes beside the wall of the building meters away from us. Because of their hair being flipped, I noticed they weren't guys. The more they run to us, the more I recognize them, and the lights even if they're dimmed, still help a lot. I slowly walked closer until I recognized the other girl with a black skin tone and big curly hair.

It's Shane! It's Shane!

"Oh my god, Shane is that you?"

I heard them both laughing as they got closer to me and my attention got held to the other girl with blonde hair and white skin tone.

It's Britney! It's Britney!

"And... umm, Britney?"

"AHHH!!!" I screamed when I saw them. I can't imagine them being here on my very first pageant. This is indeed the best day of my life.

I ran back to them with all our arms open for a hug to each other, this time, I'm the one who hugs them first. "You guys! I can't believe you're here." I almost cried in joy but I don't want to destroy this happy moment. "I saw how you conquered the stage! You nailed it, girl! That question was awesome!" Britney spoke in a singing tone.

"You were like a professional in the evening gown part. You looked so glamorous!"

"You guys! Thank you so much..." I hugged them tighter.

Being crowned as second-runner up is a big accomplishment for me. But seeing my boyfriend proud of me and my three best friends with me made it so much better.