Absent?

Clara was in her third block, waiting on the other kids to walk in. Zach was usually twelfth kid to walk in. When he didn't walk in, Clara started stressing. Where was he? He didn't call her or text her. She could've gotten a fucking heads-up so she could've faked sick and stayed home.

She got paired up with Hayley today, which wasn't a big deal. Hayley and her got paired up more often than not. She still preferred Zach though. He at least did his fifty-fifty and not ninety-ten.

"Where's your man?" 

"He's not here today and he's not my man. He doesn't belong to anybody and neither do I."

"Somebody's pissy today." Hayley remarked.

Clara looked up like she was on the office.

"Just do your fucking work, Hayley. Please."

Hayley raised her hands and surrender and did her work.

"Would you like to talk about it?" Hayley asked.

"No."

"But it would real-"

"I said no, Hayley!" Clara exclaimed.

Clara didn't expect her voice to be so loud. She felt the heat rise up on her cheeks as people stared at her.

"Look, I'm sorry," Clara said. "Zach, he just, he didn't tell me he wasn't going to be here. He still hasn't muttered a word. Today just really sucks. I miss him and I miss my dad."

"Would you like a hug?" Hayley offered.

Clara wasn't usually an affectionate person. Especially towards people she barely knew. Clara still nodded her head, though. Hayley engulfed her in a hug, which Clara returned.

"Thanks, Hayley."

"It's nothing."

Clara and Hayley worked on the rest of the project. They had two slides left in their slide show.

"I'll do it tonight," Clara said. "Take it as an apology for yelling at you."

Clara walked to her fourth block. She set her stuff down but was instantly pulled away by Bailey.

"Bailey," she said. "What is it?"

"Look," Bailey started, "Zach told me not to tell you because it's not supposed to be a big fucking deal, but Clara, you're his girlfriend and my best friend. I can't keep this from you."

"What, Bailey?

"Zach is in the hospital."