Hospitals

*Beware the medical inaccuracies.*

"This is Freddie Highmore. If you're my friend, leave a message. If you're my agent, call me continuously until I answer. If you're Clara, I love you. You know that. Leave a message, please, Clara."

Clara heard the beeping sound. She was sitting in the parking lot outside the hospital.

"Dad, it's me, Clara. I know you're busy, but please call me back when you get the chance. It's important and I need to rant. I hope the Good Doctor is going great. Tell Aunt Antonia I said hi. I love you. Bye."

Clara finished her voice message and hung up the phone. Bailey sat next to her in the car.

"Ready, Clara?"

"No."

"Same."

They got out of the car and walked into the lobby of the hospital.

"We're here to see Zachary A. Hill," Bailey and Clara said.

"CCU, fifth floor, room 534."

"Thank you."

Clara and Bailey went to the elevator and pressed the up arrow button. Bailey squeezed Clara's hand before letting it go.

They stepped aside for the nurse and respiratory therapist leaving the elevator. They then went in and pressed the button with a five.

Elevator music was crappy. Maybe it was "What Makes You Beautiful" but maybe it was "Rewrite the Stars". Clara had no idea anymore. She wasn't going to try and guess either. Too many things were on her mind. 

They stepped off the elevator when it got to their floor. They rushed into the waiting room. Zach's parents were sitting there.

Zach's mom got up and hugged Clara. Rachel did too. Dylan and Logan were already sitting there too.

"What's his diagnosis? What's wrong?"

"Clara, you know how Zach has heart problems?" Racheal said.

"Yeah, he told me."

"Then you know he's already had a ton of heart surgeries."

Clara nodded.

"Well, his heart is having issues again. He's been to the doctor multiple times. They can't seem to find any other way to do this, so he was put on a transplant list. We were informed today that the hospital has the heart and they're ready to do the surgery."

"Can I at least see him first?" Clara asked.

"Yeah, I'll show you the way."

Rachael walked with Clara to Zach's room. They knocked and heard a "Come in" from Zach.

Clara opened the door and went to Zach. She sat on the side of his bed.

"Hey."

"Hey."

Clara put her hand on his cheek. She kissed him softly before breaking away. Some tears were streaming down her face and Zach wiped them away.

"It'll be okay," Zach said. "They can't take me out that easily."

Clara laughed and cried. Zach opened his arms as an offer to lay down with him. Clara took the offer and laid against his chest while he held her.

"I missed you today," Clara said. "I ended up yelling at Hayley."

"Really?"

"Really really?" Clara said. "She told me I was being pissy and was asking questions and I yelled at her. She just got so annoying."

Zach sighed. "That's my girl."

"Are you going to be okay?" 

"Yeah, I'll be okay."

"Okay."

"Okay."

And they laid there, him stroking her hair and holding her. That was until Bailey, Logan, and Dylan walked into the room.

"I can see what's happening," Bailey said. 

"What?" Logan asked.

"And they don't have a clue."

"Who?" Dylan asked.

"They'll fall in love and here's the bottom line," Bailey sung. "Our quintet's down to three."

"Oh," Logan and Dylan said.

"The sweet caress of twilight. There's magic everywhere. And with all this romantic atmosphere... Disaster's in the air!"

"Can you feel the love tonight?" they horribly sung.

Zach and Clara were reduced to laughing loudly.

"We wanted to see you before you had your surgery," Bailey explained. "The Mystery Gang 2.0 needed to be together one more time before this surgery went down."

"The Mystery Gang 2.0?"

"Just go with it," Bailey told them. "I'm still working on the details but I definitely know Dylan is Shaggy because they're both stoned half the time."

"I second that," Dylan agreed.

They stood around talking until a doctor came in and had to run some tests. The Mystery Gang 2.0 minus one member left the room and waited.

Freddie did end up calling Clara back. He was taking a break on set.

"Hey, love."

"Dad, Zach's in the hospital. He has to have heart surgery."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Freddie apologized. "I wish I could be there."

"It's fine. You're here over the phone and that's okay with me."

"Can I tell you about some of the new characters?"

"You're sure it's not confidential?"

"Oh, it's highly confidential but that's not gonna stop me," Freddie laughed. "Anyways, one of the characters is named Dr. Asher and he's played by Noah Gavin."

"The guy who did Evan Hansen on Dear Evan Hansen and is dating Ben Platt?"

"Yep, that one."

"That's so cool!"

"We also have another doctor named Dr. Jordan and she's an amazing character and woman."

"Aw, Freddie," Clara heard in the background.

"We also have Dr. Enrique and Dr. Olivia Jackson. They're all really good actors and actresses."

Clara heard a noise say in the background saying Freddie needed to be on set in five minutes.

"I have to go Clara, but know, things will be okay and I love you very much."

"I love you too, Doctor Shaun. Now, you get back to the set. Get back to Paige and Antonia. I'll be okay."

They both hung up at the same time.