Untitled Part 32

The surgery took three hours to do. It then took six and a half hours for Zach to wake up. Every time Clara had came in, Zach was asleep and she left him a jar of notes. She also left him a stuffed animal otter to go with the hedgehog. 

When he did wake up, Clara and Bailey were at school. Neither were immediate family and couldn't stay out for long. He woke up around 12:30 pm. His chest hurt and he felt like his heart was racing. The first thing he noticed was the stuffed otter snuggled against his arm. He also noticed the balloons, the cards, and the mason jar on the table next to the bed. 

A nurse was checking his vitals.

"Good, you're awake," she said. "How do you feel?"

"Like I got stabbed in the chest," he answered hoarsely.

The nurse chuckled. "Your family is here to see you."

"Could you, um, wait a few minutes before sending them in?" he asked politely.

"Sure thing, hon."

The nurse checked off his chart and left the room. Zach watched her go and picked up the mason jar. He twisted the top off and grabbed one of the slips of paper. He read a few slips.

Some had quotes like: It's him. It's Doctor Sexy. and Like sand through the hourglass, so are the Days of our Lives.

Some had song recommendations like American Idiot by Green Day and Ho Hey by the Lumineers or song lyrics like I've been thinking too much, help me.

Some simply said "I love you," or "You are my angel."

That was Clara's pet name for Zach. Angel. Zach and Clara aren't usually the ones for pet names because they kinda find it cringey. But Clara likes being called "babe" and Clara likes calling Zach "Angel".

She really just read a Destiel fanfiction and found the pet name adorable so she tried it out on Zach. He blushed and called her cute. She kept it from that day forth.

Some notes were scribbles. Those weren't entirely Clara, either. Logan scribbled when he was bored. He found one of a skeleton hand and one of a book. 

Dylan left origami paper cats. He believed them to be good luck.

Clara left a note that he could tell she was excited writing because she wrote that her dad was coming back for a week.

There was a knock on the door and Zach's family walked in. Rachael ran and hugged her brother.

"Don't you ever do that to me again!" she demanded. "I can't lose you."

"Please, I can't be taken out that easily."

They laughed uncomfortably.

"How are you feeling?" Zach's mom asked as she touched his head.

"I feel like I got stabbed in the chest," Zach repeated to her.

"It's going to feel that way for a while, bud," Zach's dad said, "the nurse said it'll take about three months to recover."

They ended up turning on the tv and watching Top Gun. It was one of the only things on besides Impratical Jokers, Days of our Lives, and Downtown Abbey. Zach chose what he thought was the best of the four choices. He was not going to give Clara the satisfaction of watching a soap opera. The main plot was mainly sex, arguing, plots against each other, death, and demon possession for some reason. While this may sound like Supernatural, it's really just Days of our Lives on a daily basis.