Chapter Twelve

A couple of weeks have passed since Zayn and Liam have arrived in France. Zayn has been slowly getting accustomed to life on the other side of the world. He has started to learn the language, with some help from Liam.
Currently Zayn was in the pantry, looking for a snack. Not finding anything that looked appetizing.

"Hey;" Zayn called out softly as he walked into the living room, "I'm going to go for a walk, I'll be back in a bit," Zayn informed the detective as he slipped his shoes on.

"I'll come with you," Liam said as he stood up.

"No you, you don't have to."

"But I'm going to."

"Okay." Zayn wasn't going to argue with him. He just wanted to go buy himself something to snack on and then cuddle himself under his covers.

"So where are we headed?" Liam asked after he slipped on his shoes and put on a hoody.

"I'm not sure yet." Zayn grabbed his own hoody and put it on before opening the front door.

Zayn walked outside with Liam directly behind him. Liam locked the front door, before falling in step with Zayn. The two of them walking down the street silently. Liam let Zayn lead the way, when the two of them came upon a little bakery.

"Y'know I could've just ordered us dinner if you were hungry," Liam said as he walked through the door Zayn was holding open.

"No."

Zayn followed behind Liam and up to the counter. The two of them placed their order, Liam pulling out his wallet to pay. Not giving Zayn the chance to.

"Just consider this an appetizer. I just wanted something small to eat. You can still order dinner if you want to," Zayn rambled on, feeling the need to justify why he was hungry.

"You're fine Zayn. You don't owe me any type of explanations for anything that you choose to do," Liam said as they walked to the end of the counter, to retrieve their food.

"Okay."
The two of them grabbed their bagged items before walking back to the house.
Once they returned home, Zayn decided to stay downstairs with Liam. The older man turned the television on, watching the news like he was before they left. Zayn opened the bag that held his bakery item, pulling out the chocolate sprinkle covered donut.

"Thank you for going on a walk with me, even if it was to just go to a bakery. I do appre-" Zayn looked up as he was finishing his sentence, cutting himself off from what he saw being broadcasted across the screen.
"Uh that's me," Zayn quietly spoke seeing his face on the news.

"It is," Liam responded, abandoning his own pastry to sit next to Zayn.

"Is this one of those times where it's best I don't understand what they are saying?" Zayn questioned.
There have been a few times while Liam and Zayn have been in France, where Zayn has been made fun of by the citizens for not knowing or understanding the language. And each time Liam would just tell him he doesn't want to know what they are saying about him.

"Not necessarily. Would you like to just know the gist of it?"

"Yes please."

"That you are wanted for crime that was committed in the United States, they don't know where you currently are. If anyone were to see you, they are to immediately call emergency services and not approach. Because you are dangerous and could be armed," Liam explained as his face also appeared on the screen.

"Why are you up there?"

"They're informing the public that I am possibly with you."

"Now what do we do? I feel like I should just turn myself in. I'm put-"

"Zayn."

"I'm putting way too many lives at risk. And for what reason? I'm a literal nobody, a waste of space. That killed somebody!" Zayn kept repeating that he is a waste of space, his hands fisted causing his nails to leave crescent like indentations in the palms of his hands.

"Zayn," Liam repeated, reaching out to loosely grasp Zayn's wrists. "Can you please look at me sweet boy."

It took a few minutes of coaxing and Liam reassuring Zayn that he was okay and that he was safe. Before Zayn opened his eyes and looked at him.

"There's those beautiful brown eyes I was looking for. Now I want you to listen to me very carefully, okay?"

"Okay," Zayn responded very quietly.

"How long were you and Matthew together?"

"Three years. Why?"

"When did he start abusing you?"

"After I graduated from high school. Why?"

"How come you don't have your drivers license? And have you ever had a job?"

"Matthew said I didn't need my drivers license. And I did have a job but I had to quit."

"Why did you have to quit?"

"I had a hard time keeping the bruises covered and I didn't want anyone to ask any questions," Zayn quietly admitted.

"So you're telling me, Matthew had control over your transportation, control over your money, and control over what you did on a day to day basis. He abused you in more ways than one. You purchased a weapon prior to leaving him, why?"

"I I didn't think he was going to let me leave without a fight."

"And what happened when you tried to leave him?"

"He fought me. He threatened to kill me. I did what I had to, to leave him safely."

"Repeat that sentence one more time, and really listen to yourself as you say it."

"I did what I had to, to leave him safely," Zayn slowly repeated himself.

"Exactly. Had you not killed him, you more than likely would've became a statistic. Instead you took your life back. You took back your power. You did what you had to do, to leave him safely," Liam reiterated. "You survived because somewhere inside of you had fight still. Bring that fight to the surface again. I know deep down you don't want to turn yourself in. You want to fight and keep the freedom you should rightfully have."

"What is our next step?" Zayn asked as he got out of the detectives grasp.

"We are still safe here. Nobody knows that we are in France. Even then, this is a non-extraditable country. We might get pushed out by the citizens, but we won't be forced out by the country. Our job is to try and get your story out to anybody that will listen. Do you understand?"

"How? How can we be sure anyone would listen? I mean I'm running from the cops. Who is going to believe somebody that is on the run?"

"We will figure it out," Liam assured.

"I think I'm going to go to bed," Zayn said as he stood up, placing his partially eaten donut on the table. "I, thank you Liam." And with that Zayn walked upstairs and to, what has become, his bedroom.

*A/N:

Haii there!!!

Sorry for taking awhile to update, truthfully I don't know where to go with this one. I'm struggling with writers block. So it may be awhile before I update again.

I hope you guys liked this chapter.

What did you like?

What did you dislike?

What do you wanna see happen?

Goal 5 votes and 5 comments.
Please

Thank you

Love all of you

-Sam*