Chapter 2: Masquerade

I'm sitting on the couch listening to Caroline talk about how Katherine threatened her

I'm sitting on the couch listening to Caroline talk about how Katherine threatened her. I'm not exactly thrilled to be in the drama, but I'm happy to help kill that bitch. We apparently have a witch on our side too who is powerful which is probably helpful and some mortal non-supernatural teenagers which isn't as helpful. When this middle aged man apparently named Alaric (weird name) comes over with weapons, I decide that they probably have the whole planning thing (okay, I'm just lazy) and plug my headphones in, listening to music.

I zone out listening to my music and in the middle of Stiletto by Billy Joel, Damon jumps and sits his ass on my stomach. I pull one earbud out and look at him with an annoyed face. "What?"

"I want you to meet Witchy, and little Gilbert," Damon says pointing to the two people in the archway.

The witch rolls her eyes and the guy glares at Damon. "Sorry for this dummy," I grunt, pushing him off of me and sitting up. "I'm Aspen."

"I'm Bonnie Bennett."

"A Bennett? Well that improves the odds of Katherine dying."

"What," Bonnie asks.

"We're killing Katherine," the guy who Damon introduced as little Gilbert says. He turns to me. "Also, I'm Jeremy."

"Nice to meet you both," I say.

They nod and Bonnie speaks up again. "So how do you know them?"

I smile at Damon and look back to her. "We've known each other since we were kids and still mortal."

She smiles softly and asks, "Are they much different now?"

"Other than drinking blood to survive, yes. They both have more backbone and they both have experienced more, changing them into who they are and what or who they trust. Their emotions and attitudes are also a bit more exuberant."

⇢⇢⇢⇢

I walk into the ball with Damon, Jeremy, and Bonnie and I already want it to be over with. Damon leaves, telling me to stick with Bonnie and Jeremy.

We walk upstairs and I stand in the corner while Jeremy attempts to flirt with her and asks questions about the whole being a witch thing. I roll my eyes and pull out my phone and earbuds, playing music. Music is the way I deal with anxiety and feeling out of place.

I keep a little distance between myself and the other two as they walk around. I'm basically just their protection if they can't handle themselves. I was a little offended but I got over it when I realized it meant I didn't have to do as much socializing with a bunch of parents or weird teens.

When Jeremy wanders off, I watch him from a distance as Katherine approaches him. She walks away and when Jeremy pulls out his phone, someone grabs him and pulls him into a bush. I walk over and when I find him, he's with Elena. She gives me a glare and I put on a sarcastic smile.

"Why are you here?" Jeremy asks.

⇢⇢⇢⇢

After listening to Jeremy catch Elena up on everything, he texts Bonnie to meet us by a secluded table outside.

I lean up against a nearby tree as Bonnie walks to us. Elena goes on about how they're going to get killed and how the plan is stupid. I roll my eyes and put my second earbud back in, drowning them out and listening to  The Way I Loved You.

Elena groaning in pain startles me. I pause my music and walk up to her, looking at the wound appearing from nowhere. "I think that Elena is linked to Katherine. Jeremy, go tell them to stop," I demand. He nods and leaves.

I comfort Elena as she recieves more wounds and Bonnie tries to take away the pain.

A few minutes later, Jeremy comes back and Bonnie leaves to find Katherine's witch. We are both trying to help her when I make eye contact with a worried Jeremy. I give him a sad smile and say, "It's going to be alright," to both of them. Elena is healing at Katherine's rate luckily, so she isn't losing too much blood or taking too much permanent damage.

"Hey, squeeze my hand," I say. Elena puts her hand in mine and tightens her grip at the pain. "Shhhh, you're alright," I comfort. She puts her head in my shoulder and it muffles her sounds of pain. I take my free hand and stroke her hair, helping a little in calming her.

Jeremy and I make eye contact once again and he mouths a "thank you" to me. I simply nod and hold my arm that I was stroking Elena's hair with out, offering him a hug. He takes the invitation and leans into my arm, holding onto me tightly.

⇢⇢⇢⇢

I lean up against a far away tree and wait for Stefan and Elena to finish chatting. I don't know where the hell Damon is, and now I'm supposed to watch Elena. I'm not a fuckin' babysitter!

I don't listen in, seeing as it seems personal. When Stefan calls my name, I look up from the small rock I was kicking. "Will you walk Elena to her car," he asks. "I need to make sure of something before I leave.

I nod reluctantly and start walking to her car as she runs up to walk along side me. "Thank you," she says. I raise my eyebrows but don't look at her. She seems to catch my confusion and surprise because she explains further, "For helping me and my brother. I know I haven't been the best, but thank you."

I sigh. "I'm going to be honest, I'm not a fan of you, but that doesn't mean you deserve to be in the middle of all this. I know what it's like to be dragged into the supernatural world abruptly, and fortunately I was older, but you're still in high school. You should've been able to at least finish junior year before all of this."

"Yeah, it sucks, but luckily I have my friends. Also, again, thank you."

"Could you give me a ride back," I ask. She nods. We walk up to her car and I chuck my stuff in the passenger seat. Suddenly, my neck is snapped from behind.