Chapter 14: The Story of the Original Family

"These images tell a story," Alaric explains. "To learn the story, we have to decipher these images."

Elena, Damon, Alaric, and I are currently in Alaric's apartment, trying to decode the symbols the originals carved into a cave a thousand years ago. Well, more so me and Alaric; Elena is attempting to practice fighting Damon.

"The ghost of Christmas past, Mason Lockwood, said that the cave would lead us to a weapon that could kill Klaus," Damon informs.

Elena grunts, "Yeah, but doesn't Mikael have a weapon?"

"The wall will probably lead us to where Mikael is, but that's moot point because we've already found and lost him," I sigh.

"These images, at the very least," Alaric starts, "might tell us what that weapon is."

Damon comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist, hugging me.

"Then all we have to do is find out what they mean," Elena says, walking up to the kitchen island.

"Well, fine. Fine. If I'm being irritatingly optimistic like you two," Damon says sarcastically. "How do you suppose we do that?"

"Well, if the story is, in fact, the story of the originals, then we ask the same people who carved these images centuries ago," I suggest.

"I'll ask Rebekah today at school, Elena says. "Speaking of which. Ric, we gotta go."

"Hey, Alaric? Can I stay here and see if I can try to decipher these?"

"Sure. I trust you in my apartment more than I trust Damon. I'll see you two later."

"Bye," I call to them as they leave.

⇢⇢⇢⇢

Elena texts me to meet her at the boarding house to make sure Rebekah doesn't attack her when they talk. I told her "isn't that Damon and Stefan's job?" She ignored me, so I went anyways, not to protect her, though.

I get there at the same time as Elena and she doesn't say anything, just walks into the house. I follow behind her. I hear music playing and Elena and I walk into the living room to see the blonde with champagne.

"Hey, what's up?" She smiles.

"You invited me over to talk," Elena reminds her.

"I hope it's okay that I tagged along," I tell her.

"Of course, you're always welcome," she informs me. She turns around and yells, "Alright, girls. Have at it." Six girls walk into the room wearing dresses and twirl.

"You compelled your own private runway show?" Elena asks in disbelief. I've seen worse.

"I need a homecoming dress," she explains. "So what do you think? Pick one."

"I'm not here to help you shop. I'm here to talk about why you don't want me to wake up Mikael," Elena retorts.

"The red," I say.

"That wasn't so hard. Go away, remember nothing," Rebekah compels the girls. The girls walk out of the room and Rebekah grabs a glass of champagne. She walks close to Elena, only inches away from her. "You do not threaten me," she tells Elena. "You will learn what I allow you to learn. Is that clear?"

Elena cowardly nods.

I follow Rebekah upstairs and to Stefan's room with Elena trailing behind me. "How fun is this?" Rebekah rhetorically asks.

"We shouldn't be here," Elena says. I just sit on one of the chairs.

"Of course we should," Rebekah responds. "Come on. Like you've never wanted to snoop." She holds up a pair of Stefan's boxers. "Boxer briefs. Now that's change from the twenties."