Chapter 8: Not Alaric

I walk into the Mystic Grill and look around for Alaric. He doesn't seem to be here, so I grab a booth for us.

While waiting, I pull out my phone and shoot Jenna a text asking about her day. I put my phone back in my bag and Alaric slides into the opposite side of the booth wearing '60s inspired attire. "Nice outfit," I say with a bit of sarcasm.

"I had to work with what I had," he retorts. I give him a small smile in return. "Apparently Klaus is going to be at the dance. It's kinda scary, right?"

"Meh," I shrug my shoulders. "I mean obviously I'm not underestimating him, but what good is being scared going to do? Plus, he may be some real life super villain, but every villain has a backstory. I just wonder what he must've gone through if he is like this now. I get why he wants to break the curse, but I won't just let Elena die."

Alaric looks shocked. The waiter comes up and hands us the menus. I order an Arnold Palmer and Ric orders a coke. Once the waiter walks away, I turn back to the person across from me.

"Yeah, I guess so. How can you feel empathy for someone who is so horrible though?" Ric inquires.

"I guess it's just the fact that because people are so scared of him, he probably hasn't had someone give him a chance in a while. Most of us deserve a chance to prove we are not just the rumors spread about us." I sigh.

The waiter comes back with our drinks and we order. I get chicken tenders and a side salad. Alaric gets a burger and fries.

"Anyways," I begin, "do you want to talk about you and Jenna?"

"No, I think I need to figure that out myself," he replies. "What about you, love? Do you have any current love interests?"

Again with the "love." What the fuck?

"Since when do we talk about relationships and crushes?"

"Since now. So? You never answered my question," he points out.

I stare at Alaric for a second. Something seems off. I don't know what it is, but something isn't right. "Fine. I currently don't have anyone I'm interested in, but Elena, Bonnie, Caroline, and Jenna seem to think someone likes me."

"Who?"

"It's stupid and either way it doesn't matter right now because, as you know, he's trapped."

"Right," Alaric says but he's still confused. "So I was wondering if you were going to go to the dance?"

"No, Damon said I could stay out of it. You should know by now that I try to keep out of the drama so I don't make too many enemies. Obviously I'm going to help them if they need it or ask for it, especially since I've started to get closer to Elena, Care, Bonnie, Jenna, Jeremy, and you. Plus I've known Stefan and Damon for almost 200 years." I take the plate of chicken tenders and salad the waiter just put down and dig into my food. Ric does the same.

His mannerisms seem slightly different. I've always been a people watcher to be able to get to know a person by their body language. It makes me feel more confident in having a conversation with them or fighting them, whichever it is. I just want to make sure nothing has happened and I know the chances of this are slim and I sound ridiculous, but I test him to see if he's possessed or maybe compelled. "Ric, what was it you were telling me last Wednesday about the people in northeast England during the 1600s?"

I didn't hang out with him on that day and he didn't mention anything to me about northeast England. I also just came up with something random that he probably wouldn't know anything about.

"Well," Alaric starts, "I believe I was telling you about King James' plan for war?"

Bullshit. Who could it be though? Who might call people love? Well one certain Original that is supposed to be in town soon is known to call people love. Okay, so its not super well known, but one: he's British, two: apparently its a way to make people feel more scared and creeped out before he sucks them dry.