Chapter 17: Dinner For Five

I walk backwards, facing Damon as we walk through the grassy area. My hair is blowing in the wind and my skirt flows, my jewelry is cool on my skin,.

"I have to pick up, it's Elena," Damon says, gesturing to his phone. I groan. And we continue walking through the field.

He picks up and she tells him something about how somebody who wasn't a vampire was killed by a stake? I don't know. "So you're the prime suspect, huh?" Damon asks Elena.

"She doesn't think I did it," Elena reassures him. "She's just trying to find out why someone used one of my family's weapons to kill a council member."

"Well, why don't you just ask Ric if his dirty little doctor had access to the weapons."

I gag audibly at Damon's words and punch him in the gut.

"You're on speakerphone, dick," Alaric tells him.

"I'm just saying," Damon defends, "first suspect is usually the right one, don't get defensive."

"Brian Walters was killed days ago, all right? I didn't show Meredith my stuff until last night." I roll my eyes at Damon and Alaric's inability to agree easily. Also, who cares about some random dude?

They continue to list subjects and I just skip ahead before a certain suited vampire stops me by surprise. The corners of my lips turn upwards. "Elijah," I greet happily.

"Aspen," he greets kindly.

Damon hangs up on Elena. "Elijah, my favorite original," Damon starts, "back from the dead. You clean up nice."

"You left something in my jacket pocket," Elijah states, pulling out a note.

"Oh, yeah. Dear Elijah," Damon begins to recite the note, "let's get together, plot the destruction of your brother. XO, XO."

"Sarcastic dick," I mutter to him. He nudges me and I nudge him back with a small smile.

"Damon," Elijah regains his attention.

"Was I right to undagger you, or are we going to have a problem?" Damon asks.

"I'm here," Elijah says, "let's talk."

"Okay I'll ask a question that Damon won't stop asking myself, others, and himself: any idea what Klaus-killing weapon could be magically sealed away in a mystery coffin?" I ask before sitting on the ground, earning looks from them both. "What? My feet are tired."

⇢⇢⇢⇢

"Get ready, we're going out," I hear Damon tell Stefan in one of their rooms down the hall.

I set out one of the blazer and pants sets I made recently and take a shower. Damon convinced me to go. Apparently Klaus and Elijah don't hate me, so that somehow helps them?

I dry off from the shower and blow dry my hair, not bothering to do anything special with it. I put on my eyeliner, mascara, and lip balm before putting on my undergarments. I slip into my trousers, button my shirt three-quarters of the way, tuck my top into my pants, and pull on the blazer. Grabbing my jewelry, I put on my heart locket, a silver chain necklace, rings, and bracelets.