Chapter 9: Guess who's back? Back again

I watch the color slowly return to Elijah's body and observe his small movements. Elena and I have been here for almost 5 hours. We've just been talking and listening to music. At one point she was tired and fell asleep on my lap.

Elijah's body cracks as he gets up and I cringe at the noise. Elena and I get up at the same time and I keep her behind me. Elijah looks around, confused by his surroundings. "Where are we?" he asks in a demanding tone.

I take a deep breath before responding, "The old Lockwood cellar. We had to move you before you were undaggered because otherwise you wouldn't have been able to breathe."

"Can we trust you?" Elena asks.

If he doesn't, it's your guys' fault anyways.

"Can I trust you, Elena?"

Good to know I'm not a part of this.

Elena grabs the dagger from her pocket and hands it to me. "Guess I'm the messenger," I say while holding out the sharp object.

He reaches for it. His fingers graze mine and linger longer than necessary. Dramatic. He finally takes it and places it in his tattered suit. Okay his hair kinda looks good like that, I think. Nope, wrong place and time.

"We can take my car," I say, grabbing my keys from my bag which I got when I snuck back to the house quickly. "Can I trust you two to meet me at Elena's house? Or the bell tower. Whichever works."

"We will meet you at the bell tower in 10 minutes," Elijah confirms. I nod and speed back to the house, quickly getting in my car and driving to the town center. I start playing music to lighten the mood. When I press shuffle, the song Animal by Neon Trees plays.

⇢⇢⇢⇢

I pull up to the bell tower and I turn down the music. Elijah gets in the passenger seat and Elena sits in the back. "Where to?" I question while handing Elijah a blood bag.

"The Lockwood mansion," Elijah replies. I nod and start the drive to the Lockwood's. "Where did you get the dagger?" he asks, looking at Elena.

"I'll tell you everything," she promises. "But we have to work together, Elijah. I need your word."

"Your ability to make demands has long passed."

"No demands," she assures. "I'm offering you our help."

I clear my throat dramatically. "Yeah, well, maybe mine. Depends on how many enemies I'm going to have from it."

"Yes, sorry. My help. And in return, I want yours," she tells him.

"Why should I even consider this?" he inquires.

"The same reason that you haven't killed me. You need my help to kill Klaus. And I need you."

"Steamy," I comment under my breath, dragging out the y.

Suddenly, Elena's phone rings. "It's Stefan," she announces.

"Yeah, I'm guessing they found out," I comment.

She answers and puts him on speakerphone. "Where are you?" Stefan's voice comes through the speaker. "Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine," Elena assures him.

"Where's Elijah?" he asks.

"He's right here," I tell him.

"Where? I'm on my way."

"No, Stefan, Elijah, Pen, and I need some time alone. Plus, like I said, Aspen is here," she says.