Alaska Meets Montana

A/N: Montana and Alaska are both technically west states, but I imagine Alaska would not be aware of Montana, and Montana wouldn't really know Alaska.

---------------

Alaska likes to be alone; it's why he chose to still sleep in the garage in the new statehouse, even though they now had enough rooms for them all to sleep in. Of the Lower Forty-Eight he only liked Maine, the rest he barely tolerated.

He wished Hawaii was here, but he completely understood why she wanted to stay as far away from the rest of the states.

The garage was nice though. It was spacious, with room for his air mattress, furs, a mini fridge, laptop, and other knickknacks he took with him. The one downside was now they were living in LA, and it was unbearably hot during the days so he had to invest in a lot of fans. At least it was cold in the evenings, much more familiar for him.

Unfortunately, he could not completely isolate himself in the garage. Sometimes the mini fridge ran out of food and he had to trek through the statehouse to get himself some food.

This was one such occasion today. It was easiest for him to just take food from the kitchen and store it in his garage rather than try to drive in California. He didn't even know what lane he was supposed to be driving in without a bear or a moose or a bear and a moose to help him differentiate.

Staying hidden is easy for him. Nobody's going to notice him, even though he towers above the rest in the house. He entered the kitchen without Utah or Nevada noticing him as they bickered over something Nevada had done last time he was over at Utah's house. Through the open door he could hear Gov desperately trying and failing to get Florida and Louisiana to stop whatever chaos they were doing. Alaska decided not to bother with it and just quietly take his food from the fridge and move it over to the mini fridge.

He slammed the fridge door shut for fun, however. He could hear Utah and Nevada freaking out over a possible ghost.

He reentered the garage, but immediately paused. There, sat with his large teddy bear in the corner was...well to be honest he didn't know. Despite living with the other states he knows maybe four of their names. This one was cuddling up with his bear though and sat near his furs. What the heck was he doing here.

"Uh, who are you?" He asked from his place at the door.

The state looked up from where he was sat, "Montana."

"..."

"..."

"...Why are you here?"

Montana shifted in place, "It's too loud in there and your garage is closest thing to the wilderness."

Well he did write Alaskan Wilderness over the garage sign. He sighed and just decided, why not? He put away his food in the mini fridge and went over to his laptop on his air mattress.

The two sat in silence for quite a long time. Most states he had the displeasure of talking to talked endlessly for hours or could not help but interject into conversations even though they claimed to be quiet states. Even Maine had his talkative moments. Alaska, meanwhile, only really got talkative around Hawaii, for obvious reasons.

But, Alaska would admit he was curious about Montana. He was quiet and had co-opted Alaska's teddy bear for his own.

Fine, he was going to talk to him. Talking to Maine was what got them to bond.

"So, you like bears?"

Montana didn't jump when he spoke out of the blue and nodded, "Spend a lot time either hunting them or hanging with them. You like moose?"

"Obviously. Who do you take me for? You know how to evade a moose?"

"Child's play. You move to the side and hide behind trees," he paused before smiling, "That is if you want to evade it."

"Fair enough," he conceded.

Montana nodded at him, "What do you do when you see someone on the road?"

"That doesn't happen."

"Same."

"Do you like to hide in the woods away from humanity?"

"I once spent a month in the woods just living off the land, and that's nothing compared to what I used to do back when I was just a territory." Montana cocked his head back as he spoke.

Alaska chuckled, "Try two years spent in isolation."

"Wow, sounds nice. Did you also have a gold rush that fueled your economy at first, but the moment it stopped being profitable the prospectors left or were stuck in your state?"

"Oh yeah. And then something else profitable was discovered and they immediately rushed back to take all they could?"

"And they still don't appreciate you and don't like living in your state? Definitely."

Alaska nodded in solidarity, "How do you feel about the Native Americans in your state?"

"I try to help them out as much as I can and make sure to donate and support their communities."

Alaska smiled, "You're alright Montana. You ever wanna come up and see the Northern Lights just say the word."

Montana smirked at him, "I'll come and visit, but I can see them just fine from my place."

"Well maybe I can come over and see how they look from down there. Either way, you're good in my book."

The two smiled at each other, and went back to what they were doing, sitting in perfect silence alone together.

---------------

A/N: Some notes

- You can in fact see the northern lights in Montana!

- There are more similarities between Alaska and Montana: They both hate people, they've got similar flora and fauna, they partake in similar recreational activities (hunting, fishing, camping), the only main differences is Montana is more conservative and also more of a daredevil.