Main Six Petnames

- The polycule has different petnames for each other, keep things from getting too confused

- I'd also like to preface this by saying THEY DO NOT CALL EACH OTHER THESE ALL THE TIME! THESE ARE SICKENINGLY SWEET AND IF THEY WERE ALWAYS CALLING EACH OTHER THESE IT WOULD BE INSUFFERABLE. On with the diabetes.

- Gov: Gov uses more traditional romantic petnames, although he usually just calls them by name or nickname. 
--Florida: Honey
--Louisiana: Darling
--Texas: Sweetheart
--California: Baby
--New York: Dear

-Florida: Florida mostly uses unromantic petnames made from their actual names, but he will sometimes use something more romantic (and Spanish). The "Mi" is optional.
--Gov: Gov is his nickname lmao or Mi Corazón (My Heart) if he's feeling particularly romantic
--Louisiana: Loui or Mi Amor (My Love) if he's feeling particularly romantic
--Texas: Brisket or Mi Estrella (My Star) if he's feeling particularly romantic
--California: Nationstate or Mi Oro (My Gold) if he's feeling particularly romantic
--New York: Snowbird or Mi Copo de Nieve (My Snowflake) if he's feeling particularly romantic.

-Louisiana: I was going to give him Cajun petnames for his boyfriends, but upon research he already says "Sha" a lot which is derived from "Cher" which, cute I love that he calls Florida that in canon, but he'd probably call them all "Sha" once they were dating. So Loui switches between actual French petnames and English. His English petnames are usually him copying that partner or something similar. Like with Florida the "Mon" is not strictly necessary.
--Gov: Darlin' or Mon Cheri "Shari" (My Darling)
--Florida: Flo or Mon Amour (My Love) or Mon Fleur (My Flower)
--Texas: Sugarboo or Mon Doux (My Sweet)
--California: Goldie or Mon Or (Again, My Gold)
--New York: Pizza Brain or Mon Lumiere (My Light)

-Texas: He uses a variety of petnames, usually based off things he likes or their state nicknames. His are the cutest and most sickeningly sweet.
--Gov: Starshine
--Florida: Sunshine
--Louisiana: Sugar or Sha if he's feeling spicy (I hope I have beaten it into your head at this point that Texas has his own Cajuns)
--California: Poppy (Or Safespace)
--New York: Yank or Apple Blossom

-California: He usually uses their names as well, but he does have petnames for them all. He likes to try and call them in their own languages or a nickname that they might use.
--Gov: Babe
--Florida: Mi Media Naranja (Literally "my orange half" which makes sense because orange and Florida, but it is also used to mean "my soulmate" or "my better half" California is using it not so deeply as that [especially because he has a lot of "Media Naranjas"] but instead just as a cute romantic pun)
--Louisiana: Mon Cher (My dear/darling) (Sha) (he actually pronounces it the French way, and it threw Loui for such a loop the first time but it's sweet)
--Texas: Tejano (okay but it's because it's a Spanish word for a Texan and just imagine him calling him that for the first time and it just comes out and Texas is BLUSHING and-)
--New York: Babes (with an sssss)

-New York: He actually has a designated New York word for them, but his petnames are usually stuff he came up with at random and rolled with. So now even if it's something insulting it still sounds sweet when he says in an affectionate tone. If it's something sweet and he says in angry tone it also works.
--Gov: [Speaks New York] or Dollface
--Florida: [Speaks New York] or Citrus Breath
--Louisiana: [Speaks New York] or Pelican Brain
--Texas: [Speaks New York] or Bluebonnet
--California: [Speaks New York] or Angelface

Some more headcanons

- Florida doesn't know the deeper meaning of "mi media naranja" and neither does Texas, both of them just think it's a fun reference to Florida's oranges. New York, however, does understand some Spanish and it was driving him crazy trying to figure out what the hell California meant with "my orange half" so he finally looked it up and then he had to have a talk with California if he was trying to imply anything or if he felt more strongly for Florida than the rest. California the had to explain (very much blushing) that it was meant as just a cute little romantic pun and he feels as deeply about Florida as he does the rest and dear god don't tell Florida or the rest-

- The first time California called Texas "Tejano" was before the polycule started dating. Texas had ended up being the one to take care of him after a bad wildfire and while California was dazed and half asleep he called Texas "Tejano" instead of his name and Texas about had a heart attack. That's the moment Texas realized he loved California by the way.

- California calls Gov "Babe" and New York "Babes." First of all he's a little embarrassed about it because it sounds so SoCal when he says it and he knows some people don't like the name. New York and Gov don't mind. Second of all, however, because they both have essentially the same petname sometimes they will turn their head when California calls the other one "babe" or "babes"

- Texas is one of those guys who basically never calls them by their actual names, after figuring out how to use TikTok he did one of those "call your boyfriend by their real name challenge" on each of his boyfriends and each of them thought he was mad or breaking up with them.

- Jokes on him Florida had the rest do that challenge on Texas. Gov even leveled up and called him "Former Republic of Texas now The State of Texas" he deadass full government named him LITERALLY

- New York accidentally called Florida "toots" ONCE and Florida has been trying forever to get York to call him that again. New York is eternally embarrassed.

- For the longest time Florida thought Louisiana was literally calling New York "Lumiere" like the candelabre in Beauty and the Beast and Loui had to sit him down and be like "Mais sha no"

- Any time Texas calls Loui "Sha" Loui immediately knows he's in for a good time and will drop whatever he's doing, even if he's in the middle of a game of Mario Kart and is winning.

- Gov is most likely to get his petnames mixed up. He once called California "Honey" and it was so wrong plus Florida was in the room at the time and thought Gov was trying to break up with him, then it wasn't wrong and was more sad.