Pokemon Teams: Main 6

I only really have explanations right now for the types of pokemon they have, not any headcanons about a pokemon AU.

Gov Pokemon Team: Braviary, Gothitelle, Roserade, Liepard, Eevee, Ditto

- Gov is somewhat of a jack of all trades. Braviary was chosen because it is the most American pokemon ever. Gothitelle I think was clever, as it is a manipulative pokemon with focus on stars. Roserade was honestly because the national flower is the Rose but also because they also have a manipulative streak. Liepard because Gov is a liar and would enjoy a pretty cat pokemon. Eevee is because Eevee can become a lot of different pokemon types and that just felt like Gov, and Ditto was also because it can shapeshift.

Florida Pokemon Team: Feraligatr, Krookadile, Swampert, Raichu, Sharpedo, Ludicolo

- He ended up being a water type trainer on accident, with Raichu as his only exception. Feraligatr and Krookaile were pretty obvious because they're based of crocs and alligators. Swampert because swamp, but also imagine Florida with a little Mudkip! Raichu was because Florida just has protagonist with Pikachu energy. Sharpedo was because it's a shark and he's the shark bite capital of the world. And Ludicolo was chosen because it's Ludicolo.

Louisiana Pokemon Team: Pelipper, Crawdaunt, Clawitzer, Cramorant, Banette, Mimikyu

- Louis also ended up as a water type trainer, with a toe dipped in the ghost types. Pelipper was chosen because he's the Pelican state. Crawdaunt and Clawitzer were chosen because they're crawfish/shellfish based pokemon. Cramorant is another sea bird based pokemon. Banette and Mimikyu both had voodoo doll energy. I can imagine Louis and Florida running a water type gym together, although they probably wouldn't be good at it.

California Pokemon Team: Typhlosion, Porygon, Milotic, Heliolisk, Alolan Exeggutor, Tyranitar

- Again, California is a jack of all trades. Typhlosion was because I wanted a fire type in there and Typhlosion gave me Cal vibes. Porygon is a high tech pokemon so that also felt fitting. Milotic is a water type and considered the most beautiful pokemon in the world, which I don't think California is the prettiest state, but Milotic has glamour to it like Hollywood, plus it starts out ugly and I think California would see past that. Heliolisk is a electric desert pokemon that was kinda the closest I could get to giving California a gold based pokemon. Alolan Exeggutor you would think would go to Hawaii but I gave it to California because of San Diego. Tyranitar is basically a movie monster that can use the move Earthquake.

Texas Pokemon Team: Tauros, Emboar, Starmie, Miltank, Midnight form Lycanroc, Maractus

- Texas also ended up as a jack of all trades whoops. Tauros and Miltank are because they are bull/cow pokemon, you insult Texas for having a Miltank and he'll beat your ass himself. Emboar is because it's a fire pig pokemon, plus the idea of Texas holding a little Tepig is adorable. Midnight Form Lycanroc is a lone wolf pokemon, just like Texas wants to be a lone wolf. Maractus is a cactus pokemon and that makes sense. And Starmie is a star pokemon for the Lone Star State. Plus SPAAACE.

New York Pokemon Team: Raticate, Unfezant (male), Scrafty, Persian, Obstagoon, Lucario

- New York is also a jack of all trades but I think he would work best with fighting and dark type pokemon. Raticate is a rat pokemon so he would love that. Unfezant is a pigeon so he would love that as well. Scrafty is a dark fighting type pokemon and a deliquent so he'd obviously enjoy that. Persian is the evolution of Meowth which is just a very New York pokemon. Obstagoon is another dark fighting type pokemon and all about New York's aesthetic. And Lucario is a fighting pokemon.