Chapter two | I Forget I Have Powers

{respond to a/n at end! please!}

6 months earlier

Valerie sat on the dirt in front of the small lake and sighed. It had been months since the whole Starcourt thing and the nightmares hadn't stopped. She stopped sneaking into Hope's room at night when she realized how tired the girl became.

It was the middle of the night and the summer breeze was hot against her skin. She didn't cry. Not that she didn't want to. But she couldn't.

Max wasn't her neighbor anymore, her and her mom moving after her stepdad left. They used to see each other all the time and they still do but it's not the same anymore.

Valerie remembered Max and her together at this very spot. Cuddling and happy wanting to drown out their parents arguing.

Valerie's parents didn't argue as much as Max's did but the tension in the room was still there. After the Starcourt incident her dad wanted we to stop using her powers and her mom wanted to keep practicing. Valerie sided with her dad much to her moms dismay. Her powers scared her and they were to strong. Even though her mom said practice makes perfect she know they were just sweet words to make her feel better. She shouldn't even have these powers. According to her mom the powers should have been split between her and Hope, but instead she got them all.

She heard footsteps behind her and she turned to see her mother walking towards her. Valerie sighed but didn't get up. Her mother sat down slowly next to her and for a moment they sat in silence.

"You know sometimes I forget I have powers," Valerie chuckled weakly and turned to her mom. "I went so long without them ya know, so I don't know what to do with them now," her mom didn't answer and instead looked down.

"There is a way,"

Valerie looked at her, "way for what?"

"You're gift. If you truly believe it's to much there is a way."

Valerie's eyes went wide, "How! Tell me! Please!" Her mom sighed looking down.

"It's dangerous. That's why I've never said anything before. But after what you've been through I figure you'd want to know," Valerie nodded quickly and scooted closer.

"We can split them between you and your sister, but I'm not sure if she'd truly want them. With everything that happened," Valerie nodded thinking of the nightmares Hope has every once in awhile.

"There's no way to take them away completely?"

"Not without killing or changing you."

A/N: I'm being so honest I forgot Val had powers.

She's literally the avatar and I forgot 😭💀

Anyway you can take this with a grain of salt

So I can either keep them, split them, or take them away entirely what do y'all think?