Chapter two | Powers

Valerie practically ran the whole way to the road and hopped on her bike going an extreme speed almost crashing into two cars until she finally pulled up to her drive way where her mother stood with crossed arms and an angry expression

"Valerie how many times must I tell you?"

"I know mom I'm sorry I just lost track of time," Darla stared at her daughter before nodding and the two made there way into the woods and to a small creek that Max and Valerie visited the night after the incident on the field.

"why do we have to go at night again?" Valerie asked her mother who held a flashlight to guide them through the dark

"because this is the only place we can practice and we can't risk someone seeing us in broad daylight," Valerie nodded at her mothers answer as they finally made it to the creek.

"so where am I supposed to begin, we haven't done this in awhile,"

"and who's fault is that," her mother said eyeing the backend area where tall tree once stood until Valerie set them all on fire

"I said I was sorry about that."

"yeah I know. okay so anyways face the water and concentrate," Valerie did as told and closed her eyes and took a deep breath "now I need you to just listen to my voice okay, just breath," Valerie nodded tuning out the rest of the world "okay now I need you to think of a memory and a good on this time we don't want to make the climate change worse."

"what's climate change?"

"future stuff," Valerie nodded and began to regain her concentration "okay so like I said a good thought a happy one," she nodded and thought of the first most happiest thought and that just so happened to be the day she met Max, when she had walked up to here and made her fall.

"Hey skater girl," Valerie called startling the girl causing her to lose her balance and fall, but before she could hit the ground Valerie rushed and wrapped her arms around her waist, steadying her feet on the ground.

The thought then quickly changed to when Valerie had run into Max in the hallway at school on Halloween and Max asked her to show her around town.

"I was just wondering what other things they have in this town to do for fun other then the arcade, so I was wondering if you could show me around," the girl was obviously nervous asking seeing as she had a small blush and was asking in almost a whisper though Valerie didn't know why.

It then changed to later that day when Valerie and Max were sitting together at the quarry and they each opened up to each other a little, the day they became best friends.

a tear slide down Valerie's cheek but she quickly wiped it away as Max stared at her "I've never told anyone that before," Valerie smiled at Max which she quickly returned. The girls just stared at each other before Max pulled her into a hug. Valerie sat their shocked before returning the hug.

he then thought of when Max had helped her steal the stuff from that stare and they declared the nicknames Bonnie and Clyde.

"I suppose I did I guess where both criminals now,"

"yup we'll be the next Bonnie and Clyde, I'm Bonnie obviously,"

And then to the night they had there very first sleepover and they ate candy and watched Halloween until 1 in the morning and Valerie fell asleep in Max's arms.

By the time the movie was over Valerie was knocked out her arms were wrapped around Max's and her face was buried in the girls neck. Smiling to herself Max tried to pry the girls arms from around her only for her to wrap them tighter deciding she didn't want to wake the sleeping girl Max snuggled closer to the girl and fell fast asleep.

She thought of the day of the field incident when she didn't want to see anyone else but the pretty redhead how she didn't have a chance with.

"No, of course not. I could never think you were crazy," she answered trying to reassure the girl

"so you believe me?"

"always will Bonnie," Valerie smiled at the nickname and pulled the girl in for a hug

"thank you," the two girl pulled away from each other their eyes lingering on each other for a second

Her thoughts drifted to the night on the bus where Valerie told Max about her past and fears and really opened up to someone for the first time.

so if you ever feel like packing up and leaving this place best believe I'll pack and leave with you."

"you're serious, you'd that for me."

"of course I would."

She thought about how happy she was that Max was the first person she saw after being in that coma for over a month and the words the girl had said to her.

I won't let anyone hurt you again. Because you make me better. When I first moved here I hated everything and everyone, but you made me realize that the pain does get easier if you just let people in and that's what I did I let you in so please don't leave me,"

But then she remembered the snowball and the way Lucas had just asked Max to dance and how the red head said yes.

"are you trying to ask me to dance stalker?"

"no of course not, unless you want to."

Valerie's once happy thoughts were once again corrupted and she could no longer control the powers that had laid dormant inside her any longer.

She turned in the direction Max was and saw her kiss Lucas

Valerie could no longer hold in the hurt and jealousy and just released all here feeling onto what was in front of her thought her eyes were still closed and she could no longer hear her mothers voice. She felt this evil feeling crawl through her body devouring every bit of good it could find in her she almost always got that feeling when she used her powers, but then she would think of the pretty blue eyes and the red hair and freckles that danced over Max's face an it was as if the evil just vanished so that's what she did pictured the girl that had caught a hold of her heart.

"VALERIE!" hearing her mothers cries her eyes shot open turning from the deep black back to their normal shade of brown. The ground was shaking from under her feet and the tree were winging violently and the water in the creek looked to be boiling At least there's no fire she must have thought to soon cause as soon a he did the water in font of her caught fire causing her to panic "Valerie!" her mother pulled her toward her and into a tight hug "calm down baby please calm down," her mother began to rub her back humming a soft lullaby and Valerie almost instantly calmed down seeing a the Earth no longer hook the tree stopped swinging and the water returned to it's natural state.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to I know you said happy thoughts and I tried but its as if my brain doesn't want me to be happy," Valerie continued to cry into her mothers shoulder who just continued to hum the lullaby until Valerie fell asleep. Darla pick up her sleeping daughter and Carried her all the way back to their home and into her bed.

{A/n: I don't know how I feel about this chapter}