Chapter eleven | Headaches

The car ride was deadly silent no one daring to speak a word. Jonathan's hand gripped tightly on the wheel his knuckles a pale white as he sped on the road. Nancy sat quietly in the passengers' seat her mind elsewhere recalling the last hour. The rest of the group sat quietly in the back all shaken up with worry in their eyes.

Max sat next to Lucas curled up in his arms both fearing the absolute worst. The drive was short but to them felt like hours, the rain hitting the window was the only sound that could be heard. As they neared the house the car came to a stop they all slowly stepped out of the car and rushed inside and out of the cold. The group sat silently on the couch not really knowing what to do now.

"El can you find her?" Max asked in a whisper that was almost unheard. The brunette nodded slowly and went to stand but was stopped by a hard banging coming from the front door. They all went still no one knowing what to do.

"Are you assholes gonna let me in or not!" Her voice was strained and laced with annoyance. The group immediately jumped from where they were sitting and pulled open the door.

"Oh thank God," Max threw her arms over the shorter girl and pulled her into a bone-crushing hug. "I thought I lost you," she whispered into the girl's ear who had still yet to return the hug.

"I'm fine," she responded in a monotone voice, Max pulled away from her and stared questionably.

"Val you okay?" Valerie hesitated for a moment before giving the girl a cheerful smile.

"Of course I'm okay silly, why wouldn't I be?"

"I thought it took you," Valerie let out a chuckle throwing her head back.

"Obviously not. I got away okay had to walk here from the hospital." Max stared into the girl's eyes apart of her wanted to believe what she said was true but something just wasn't right.

"Okay good. I'm glad you're okay," Max stepped away from the girl who nodded happily and went to sit silently on the couch the rest of the group watched warily all wondering the same thing.

~

" It can't be good for her to be in there this long," Mike paced around the room extremely worried about the girl in the next room.

"Mike you need to relax," Max told him as she finished the second braid on Valerie's head.

"What if she gets brain damage or something?"

"Holy shit! Is that lie a real thing?" Lucas asked surprised

"No, it's not he made it up! Mike doesn't know what the hell he's talking about!"

"I'm pretty sure it is real," Valerie tried to decent but was ignored making her cross her arms and pout.

"Oh, and you do?"

"No, I'm just saying!" Valerie's clutched her head and squeezed her eyes shut as a headache formed from the twos annoying bickering.

"Can you both just shut the hell up! You're being so fucking annoying!" The words came out harsh and a part of her wanted to apologize but she meant what she said.

Both teens immediately quieted down and stepped into the kitchen to have Nancy settle their argument and to give Valerie some obviously needed space.