018: Rumor Has It

Troubled With Tattoos

Chapter Eighteen

Rumor Has It

"He's just...so different from all the other guys and-" Lizzie rambled on and on about Cash. I tried to tell Lizzie about what happened at the carnival but she insisted it had to have been someone else because Cash "never left her side". We walked through the school's main corridor.

I spotted her, I never knew she went here, or maybe I just never noticed because I didn't know who she was. Her hair was in a high ponytail that was perfectly pin straight and wore blue jeans with a black blouse.

"Guess what? Me and Austin Hayes are back together." She squealed jumping up and down with her friend. I froze in the middle of the hallway staring blankly at Kara. Back together isnt exactly how I would put it.

"What's wrong?" Lizzie said stepping in front of my sight. I tried to force all my thoughts away as I reminded myself he promised it would only be temporary. He wouldn't lie to me, would he?

"Nothing," I muttered walking away from the gushing girls.

"Did she just say-" Lizzie began but I cut her off.

"She's lying." I gritted my teeth a bit too loudly. People looked at me weirdly as I continued walking to the first period. I wanted to tell Austin she was spreading rumors but there's no way to tell him without sounding completely and utterly jealous. And I was so not jealous.

"So they're not back together?" She asked confused trying to keep up with my fast walking.

"No!" I yelled. She widened her eyes at me and I sighed.

"Sorry, rough night," I muttered sitting in my seat.

"Yeah, I'm sure partying all night is so rough." She rolled her eyes. If only she knew.

"I heard that party was awesome." Rose walked in on our conversation. Lizzie rolled her eyes once again turning her head. It was then my turn to roll my eyes once the girl walked in. She walked straight up to Mr. Lynch talking to him about something.

"Hey have you heard that Kara and Austin are-" Rose whispered. We're not even in the first period and the talk of the day was about Kara.

"Yes, we heard. And it's a lie, he even told me so yesterday." I said as a matter of fact. If I had to hear one more person talk about it I'd rip someone's head off. I kept reminding myself what he said just last night, 'I wouldn't do that to you, Violet'.

The final bell rang signaling the end of this annoying day. Why was I getting so worked up over some silly girl starting rumors?

I walked out to the front of the school looking for Austins car. I hoped he didn't forget about our driving lesson. My eyes caught sight of his car and the tan girl who was practically hanging through the window. She stood outside his car talking to him. I could see her twirling her long black hair between her fingers as she smiled wide. Other students were pointing and watching.

I walked over to his car watching her as she kept leaning farther in.

"Excuse me," I said in my best fake nice voice I could muster up. She turned around with a disgusted look on her face and slowly backed away from the door leaving me room to get in. However, she made sure to bump my shoulder as I walked by. I hopped into the car closing the door with a proud smile on my face. I watched her face distort into anger.

"This is what you're doing that's so important that you can't bring me home?" She barked through the window looking at me like I was a piece of week old pasta.