006: Ridiculous Bets

Troubled with Tattoos

Chapter Six:

Ridiculous Bets

We have all gathered around the lunch table, each person distracted into their own conversations with one another. Except for me of course, my mind was stuck on one thing and one thing only. I couldn't take it anymore, I had to ask.

"What do you guys know about an Austin?" I blurted out of nowhere, the whole table grew quiet. After yesterday I couldn't stop thinking about the boy, he just seemed so mysterious. I wanted to know more about him and the curiosity was burning inside of me. If he's only nineteen he must've graduated last year.

Lizzie's eyes popped out of her head while Rose's' food dropped right off her fork as she stared at me in disbelief.

"Austin? As in the Austin who works at a garage repair shop?" Lizzie asked with an eyebrow raised.

"Exactly that one." I nodded taking a bite out of my sandwich Aunt Cherry made, yes she made my lunch at the age of seventeen. Lizzie sighed and I mentally prepared myself for the back story she would soon unleash about him.

"Well, his name is Austin Hayes," She began, I recognized the name from the sign on the shop. "He graduated last year, one of those bad boys I mentioned yesterday."

"He's also super sexy, and he has lots of tattoos like his brother," Rose finished. I nodded knowing exactly how sexy he was, I didn't need to be told.

"He's the kind of guy your parents warned you about," Rose muttered.

"Other than that, the rest is pretty much a mystery. Nobody really knows much about him besides his desire for trouble," Lizzie shrugged. She seemed to know a lot about the kids in our school.

"What makes you bring him up?" Rose asked.

"He just seems so mysterious," I said shaking my head after realizing how pathetic I sounded. I had to constantly remind myself I wasn't here to gawk at boys. I was staying with Cherry to keep myself safe. 

"Well, I wouldn't go near him if I were you," Lizzie warned waving her fork in front of my face as if lecturing me. The smell of hot cheesy pizza hit my nose, today was pizza Friday.

"Ugh, the things I would do to that boy if he were mine." Rose bit her lip stuck in dreamland. Lizzie made a face at me and I returned it.

"Ew." I laughed at how sexual she was. Sometimes I think she forgets she's in a relationship.

"Save it for your dreams. You too Violet. Not to burst your bubble but he doesn't date. " Lizzie chuckled.

"I think I will, in my dreams it's much better because I-"

"Rose. We don't want to hear about your weird dreams." Lizzie deadpanned. The table laughed at her embarrassed face as a familiar surfer looking boy came over. Max sat down next to Rose setting his plate down full of pizza.

"What are you guys talking about?" He said sitting down scooting closer to Rose.

"Oh, nothing." Lizzie chuckled playing with her food. Max looked at us all skeptically before resuming to eating his lunch.

He mumbled an "Okay.." in a curious tone. The table shared a knowing look, Rose's face was still a slight shade of pink.

The rest of lunch was semi-normal. Nobody brought up Austin Hayes after that, but I didn't miss the curious stares I got from Lizzie after I asked.

Max and I were walking down to biology together again, the last class of the day. He was really quiet, but he was super friendly. We were greeted by the teacher as we sat at our lab table. Our desk was right next to a window, and I couldn't help but notice the pouring rain.