010: Girls Night

Troubled with Tattoos

Chapter Ten:

Girls Night

After hours of playing basketball with the boys, we were all gross and sweaty so we called it quits. My hair stuck to my forehead and the boys shirts were drenched. Each of them were so different yet so similar. Declan could read you like an open book, I made a note to watch out for that. Turns out Luke was the all-star basketball player when he was in high school. And Austin was the star quarterback.

After Austins team beat us a billion times we switched up teams.

We ended in a quick hug. More like a last minute heat of the moment kind of gesture. Even though it was sticky and gross I still enjoyed every second of it.

I got home just as Aunt Cherry was cleaning up from her dinner.

"Violet, who's sweatshirt is this?" Aunt Cherry called from the kitchen. Sweatshirt? I paused the TV checking out this so-called sweatshirt myself.

My eyes bugged out of their sockets when I saw the gray sweatshirt that had the auto shops logo on the front. Aunt Cherry must have been oblivious to the logo since she would've connected the dots herself. I could only imagine what would happen if she found out the "bad neighbors" next door were really the same guys who she left her car in the responsibility of.

She held the sweatshirt as if it had a disease with her other hand on her hip as she gave me a curious stare. I had forgotten she asked me a question and scrambled up the first thing I could think of.

"Oh..uh...it's Rose's. She must have left it here the other day." I quickly came up with. I exhaled calmly knowing for once my lie wasn't utterly unbelievable.

"Well tell Rose that smoking is bad for your health." She scolded handing me the light gray hoodie. I didn't quite catch what she was inching towards.

"What?" I asked my eyebrows furrowing. She stared at me as if I was dumb to not notice.

"Her sweatshirt reeks of cigarettes and who knows what else." She made a gross face as she grabbed a water bottle out of her fridge. I lifted it up to my nose taking a huge whiff of it myself. I gagged on the scent of cigarettes and possibly weed.

"I never thought she'd be the kind of girl who smoked." She muttered taking a sip of her water.

"Actually, her parents smoke, the scent must have got on it somehow." I found myself defending my friend. I know for a fact Rose would never smoke, but I also knew this wasn't her sweatshirt. It was Austins.

She stared at me blankly confusing me a tiny bit. But then she spoke again and the sweatshirt was forgotten about.

"So I was thinking we could have a girls night tomorrow, it's the weekend and I haven't spent any time with you since you've been here." She said pulling out a poor excuse of a pout. I nearly chuckled at her attempt but kept it under control.

"I'd love to, what do you have in plan?" I asked knowing Cherry too well. If she wanted a girls night you best know that she already has it all planned out.

She smiled widely, her eyes sparkling with joy. She always wanted a daughter and I was the closest thing to it for her.

"Well, I was thinking we could get our nails done at the salon, then maybe do a little shopping at the mall. We could go out for lunch and then come home and watch romance movies." She smiled.

I smiled too wishing my own mother would have a girls night with me but I now know that'll never happen. At least not for a long time. But that didn't stop me from hoping it would.