032: The Leader

Troubled With Tattoos

Chapter Thirty-Two

The Leader

Slowly but surely, Cam and I walked side by side back to Cherry's house. I invited Cam to stay for dinner since third-wheeling my aunt didn't exactly sound like a grand old time. Although I'm not going to lie, I want to know the guy who seems to be taking all my aunt Cherry's time. 

But no matter how hard I tried to distract myself, the anxiety from these past few months has been eating me alive. I'm not the same person I was when I left that house. 

"Who is this he that wants me?" I finally asked the question burning inside my mind. I'm a fragile girl with spaghetti arms and lost hopes. It was obvious they knew every second I was alone.

"We don't know," He hesitated to say as we turned down the street of Cherry's neighborhood. Austin's car was parked outside his house next to Luke's truck. Cam abruptly stopped our walking, holding out his arm so I can't pass.

"What happened with your parents Vi?" He asked. I was at a loss for words. Did he know my secret? How long have the boys known?

"I will tell you after dinner." I saw an unfamiliar black Volkswagon parked in the driveway. I was about to enter the house when Cam pulled me aside. 

"Vi, pinky promise?" He said like a child holding out his pinky that was doubled the size of mine. I rolled my eyes playfully wrapping my small pinky around his. Then he kissed it. 

      "What are we five?" I whisper-yelled but couldn't help but slightly laugh. 

      "Shut up and kiss it." He chuckled pressing it to my lips. I smiled as I kissed his stupid finger. What a child. His hazel eyes burned into mine with so many emotions I couldn't help but stare back. I pushed my thoughts aside remembering that I had to be supportive of Cherry.

       "Come on let's go meet this guy. I have to see if he's husband material." I laughed opening the door to see the man himself. I found the man who had stolen the heart of Aunt Cherry. He wore a black dress shirt that was tucked into his pants and shiny black shoes. I guessed that the black leather jacket hanging on the coat rack was also his. 

       He had dark hair that was cut so short he almost looked bald. His features were so defined I could cut a watermelon with his jaw. Overall he looked like a clean-cut guy. I looked at Cam to see his opinion but instead, I found his mouth slightly opened as he looked in disbelief. 

      "What's wrong?" I whispered before they noticed we were there. 

      "Definitely not husband material." He sighed running his hands over his face like it physically pained it. Does he know him? Is it Cam's dad? All these options I was trying to come up with only got cut off when Aunt Cherry finally noticed us. 

      "Oh yay, Hun, Violet is here. Come I want you two to meet." She screeched grasping my hand. The smile on her face was irreplaceable, she was genuinely happy and I didn't want to ruin that for her. But who was this stranger that Cam seemed to recognize? Well, I guess I was about to find out.

      "Violet, I've heard so much about you, I'm Ramiro." He said so smoothly my ears probably melted. Something about his voice was so mesmerizing and I don't mean romantically. He screamed powerful like you'd want to listen to every word he'd say. 

      His piercing blue eyes looked into my soul. I stuttered over my words, something about him was just off. His Spanish accent was almost too familiar. Cam tensed beside me just watching him draw close to me. This isn't going to be good.