029: Axel

Troubled With Tattoos

Chapter Twenty Nine

Axel

I had run over to Austin as soon as I realized it was him. He stumbled frequently and could not get a grasp on anything. I tried taking his hand to lead him back inside but he kept shaking me off.

"The three gunshots..." He began his words slurring. I nearly fanned his breath as the stench of alcohol filled my nostrils.

"What about them?" I asked wondering why he would suddenly bring this up. I had asked numerous times before I knew the boys secret but they wouldn't tell me. A drunk Austin was an honest Austin.

"They're a warning sign, like a grand entrance I guess." He shrugged. Why would you want your enemies to see you coming?

"Doesn't that ruin the whole surprise element?"

"They don't look at it that way. They want their victims to know that danger is coming. They want them to fear them." He slurred some more adding a small burp to the end.

"There's a lot you don't know." He muttered as he got up from the ground. He looked distant, I wanted to help but I didn't know how. How do you help the boys who have been protecting you the whole time?

"So tell me." I burst out grabbing his strong arm as he began to step away. Why must the boys make everything so complicated?

"I can't, not now." He stammered out. He ripped his arm out of my grasp leaving me there on the street. I watched his retreating back. Austin left me there alone on the narrow empty street. My hearts strings were being pulled in different directions. I followed him back to the house slowly, he was too far ahead to see me in the dark. Looks like I didn't miss much, the music was still blaring, people were still dancing. I found Cam in the kitchen who was insisting he should make his pizza cake. I poked his shoulder as he argued with the other guy about whether it was a good idea or not. 

"Will you take me home?" I shouted over the music. He checked me over making sure I was okay before he nodded and led me outside. By the looks of it, he hadn't drunk too much. He slipped into his seat as I slid into mine. It was much quieter now, I could actually hear my own thoughts.

"Did something happen?" He asked curiously. Yes, but it was too small to make a big deal out of. I don't like drunk Austin, sober Austin is much nicer.

"No, I just thought now would be a good time to study." I spit out just as he slammed on the brakes. 

"Nope. No way. There is no way I'm being tutored right now." he said before slowly pressing on the gas once again.

He pulled into the driveway and parked his car quickly. Luckily I had a house key on me. He followed me inside.

"Are you hungry?" I asked as I read the note Cherry left me.

Out on a date with you know who! I took the dog with me. I'll be back in the morning.

Love, 

Cherry

I already knew she was out with this guy she has grown quite close with. I guess you could say that they were together, I have yet to meet him. I've known Austin longer than she's known her new love interest but he still has made no indication that he is going to ask me to be his girlfriend.

"Not for food." he chuckled. I led him upstairs to where my books were. I wasn't in the mood to teach but it was better than staying at that party. At least I can somewhat get answers out of Cam.