002: The Basics of Grooming

Troubled with Tattoos

Chapter Two:

The Basics of Grooming

The constant noise of loud bangs reached my ears.

"V, come on wake up!" I open my eyes to see Cherry slamming two pots together. My heart rate went back to a normal speed and I relaxed into my new bed. It had been three days since I moved in with Cherry. Our old playful antics were back in swing and you couldn't even tell we were apart for so long.

"What do you want?" I groaned rubbing my eyes. It was 6:30 a.m., what was she doing? The room was dark but I could just make out her face.

"Well good morning to you too, get ready." She hummed opening up my curtains to the sun just rising.

"Get ready for what?" I asked confused. What on earth would I have to do this early in the morning?

"Today I'm showing you my new shop." She said excitedly waving her finger around in front of me. Last night she had told me all about her new grooming salon. Cherry had a love for animals, I had offered to work some shifts so I could save up money. She walked out of my room closing the door on the way.

Cherry had gone to get my clothes at my house just yesterday, after numerous attempts of trying to leave without me noticing. She said no one was home. But the place was still a wreck. Loads of thoughts entered my head about my parents.

Did my father know what happened? Is my mother OK? Where did they go? Are they looking for me?

I stumbled out of bed looking for something to wear on my first day at a pet salon/store. I grabbed a simple pair of light blue skinny jeans, a plain t-shirt, and a black hoodie. After all, I had no one to impress.

My thoughts traveled to my friends back at home. There were only a few but I wondered if they would notice my sudden disappearance. I wondered if they would care.

I used to be outgoing and friendly but after Ash left it was like a switch went off in my brain. I went from being friendly and outgoing to lonely and shy. Aunt Cherry had been trying to get me into school. We thought I would need a fake name but apparently you can enroll anyone in this town.

Boy was I dreading going to school here, I start on Monday. If I wasn't a senior I would just consider dropping out.

My arm was wrapped with an ace bandage after Cherry had to make some homemade stitches. Turns out the knife went deeper than we had expected, it would surely leave a scar.

I fixed up my hair, put on some mascara and brushed my teeth before running back down the stairs to see Cherry working the stove. A stack of blueberry pancakes stood on the kitchen island. My mouth watered remembering her sweet blueberry pancakes she'd make when I was younger. Its been a while since I ate anything other than cereal or boxed mac and cheese.

"Eat up, we've got a big day ahead of us!" She squealed. I sat on one of the stools, placing a few pancakes on a plate drowning them in syrup. I had just begun remembering the way around her kitchen. Her utensils were in the small drawer right next to her sink and she kept her trash bucket in one of the bottom cabinets.

She plopped down next to me eating some as well. My mouth was in heaven from her cooking. She should have stuck with being a chef instead of a pet groomer. We were very similar, always wanting to help someone or something. I've never had a pet before, not even a mere goldfish.

Cherry dangled her keys unlocking the doors of her pet salon. It was simple looking with red as the main color. The sign read Cherry's Pet Salon.