012: The Call

Troubled with Tattoos

Chapter Twelve:

The Call

I waved goodbye to Camden from the front door as he drove off. I hope Cherry wasn't too mad at me for coming home late, I didn't think his game would take that long.

I opened the door to Aunt Cherry's small house surprised to find it unlocked. Cherry believed she lived in the safest part of town. That is until she finds out her neighbors are the trouble makers she had warned me about. I closed the door behind me hearing Cherry shouting from the living room. I crept over there skeptically, not believing what I was hearing.

"No, your daughter is not with me. I have no clue where she is." Her hands waved around furiously as she shouted. She hadn't seen me walk in, too engaged in her conversation. Loud, coarse yelling came from the other end and she rolled her brown eyes at the deep voice. I couldn't hear what he was saying it was mumbled together. My heart sank to my stomach at the realization of her words. 

"I'm not lying, Frank." She paced back and forth from the two couches. The name of my father made me cringe, they were talking about me. My heart was racing just knowing he was on the phone. He was looking for me after all but was it for good intentions or bad? She turned stunned to see that I had heard most of everything, she looked worried but most importantly, guilty.

"Frank I have to go, and don't you call back here again!" She gritted her teeth. I stayed silent, my stomach feeling uneasy.

"Vi-" Her voice full of sympathy began.

"What did he say?" I asked my voice cracking unintentionally. I swallowed my saliva hoping to help my unsteady voice.

Her mouth opened and closed a few times, she didn't have a clue what to say. He doesn't want me back, does he? My own father didn't want me, I didn't even know if my mother was alive. I could be a murderer right now and I'd never know.

"Violet, please listen to me, this is very serious." She put a hand on my shoulder comfortingly. Not too long ago I was with my parents inside my filthy home. Just two years ago I was with Ashton, my parents were loving and cared for their two children. Now here I stand, living in my aunt's house unsure if my parents even wanted me anymore.

"We need to go to the police about this. They'll help you-" She began as she sat down on the couch. I closed my eyes, I couldn't take this anymore. Maybe living with Aunt Cherry was a bad idea.

"And get you arrested for kidnapping? I'm not dragging you down this path with me Cherry." I snapped cutting her off. The last thing I wanted to do was get Cherry involved any more than she already was. She even said so herself, if she has any slight mark on her background check she will not get approved for adoption. I couldn't do that to her. I, unlike my parents, am not a heartless person.

"I can leave," I said in a whisper voice. She placed her hand comfortingly on my shoulder, her baggy eyes a clear sign she hasn't slept.

"This is not the first time he has called me. He will find you, as long as you're with me at least I will know you are safe." She wept. My throat burned with the need to let out these tears but I would not let them fall. I had to be strong. 

"As long as I'm with you, you are not safe. I will sleep at Lizzie's tonight just to be safe." I offered. My parents didn't know Cherry's new address, they dropped all contact years ago up until this happened. Putting Cherry in danger was not on my to-do list and I would do anything to keep her out of it.

She nodded in agreement wiping her tears away with a stray tissue in her pocket. I stumbled up the stairs and packed a bag, stuffing whatever clean clothes I had left. Not knowing whose house I'd be staying at, I called Lizzie first. It was late, nearly 11 o'clock at night, I could only hope she was awake.