030: Weak and Naive

Troubled With Tattoos

Chapter Thirty

Weak and Naive

"So you're telling me that someone broke into the house, stole nothing and you didn't see them?" Cherry asked in distraught. It was partially honest, I didn't get to see him however I knew who it was, Cash. Cash and Axel.

"Yes." I nodded. She looked me over almost in disbelief. I could sense her frustration, I wonder if she regrets taking me in. I've done nothing but cause her trouble. The only good thing I've done for her is to work at her pet salon. Oh, and I also did that favor for her once with her car which is how I met the boys.

Aunt Cherry sighed picking up the house phone to make a call, if the police were going to be here I definitely wasn't going to be. 

"Yes I'd like to report a break-in," she said into the phone with her hand on her hip, "last night." I snatched a granola bar off the counter and headed out the door for another boring day at school.

My life is quite messy. I sat down on the torn apart seat of the bus I met Cam on.

My long boney fingers grazed the keyboard of the old computer as I tried to think of what to write my English essay on. It was for my portfolio, we had to write about a cause we're most interested in and what we can do to support it. I could do homelessness, abused animals, drug addiction, gang violence. But for some reason, I couldn't get the gang out of my head. Just a simple search was all I needed.

I glanced around the school library, there were people reading books, some were on computers around me but none of them were close enough to see. Glancing down at my fingers again I slowly started typing. I searched 'compass rose tattoo'.

Various images popped up of different types of tattoos. But what I really wanted to know was what I didn't know. I know there affiliated with the gang but that's all I knew. I clicked on a link that led to a website about gang-related tattoos. I scrolled past the teardrop, different numbers, and acronyms. My eyes met with a picture of a compass rose on a man's upper back. I read the small paragraph beneath it;

'Compass Rose Tattoo, typically affiliated with the Latin based Windrose Gang. Typically a smaller gang, less notorious but still very dangerous. Windrose attracts those who seek adventure hence the name. Like most gangs, they provide family and friends unless you betray them. Members are known to be sneaky and manipulative. Warning signs of attack consist of three gunshots from a distance meaning they are near, verbal threats sometimes not so obvious..'

"Is your name google, because you have everything I've been searching for," I heard his voice coming from behind. I practically jumped out of my chair as I quickly closed the website and shut off the computer. My heart raced as I worried he saw what I was researching. He came up from behind me putting both his strong hands on the armrests of my chair.

He laughed at his own joke and slowly sobered up. I laughed nervously hoping he didn't see the computer screen.

"Anyways, what are you doing later?" Camden asked.

"I have to train a new employee tonight," I said with an eye roll. I've never trained anyone before, they better be prepared to suck just as much as I do.

"Bummer," His words lingered. He said his goodbyes and saluted me a wave before leaving the library.

I looked back at my computer screen to see it was completely off. The bell rang signaling the two-minute warning to get to your next class. Joy.

I walked through the doors of the math room just as the bell rang.

"Violet, just in time, have a seat." Mr. Lynch said. For some reason even being in the same room with Kara just irritated me. The way she snickered or flipped her hair irked me to the max.  She raised an eyebrow at me giving me a glare. I sat down next to Lizzie who was using her phone under her desk. She was laughing at something, I leaned over slightly to get a glance but she looked up at me.