034 | the massacre at hawkins lab

Wednesday, 26th March, 1986

WHEN SHE SPOTTED HIM, HER HEART stopped. She called out his name and he tried to turn to her, but two giant bat creatures were chewing on his abdomen and one had its tail wrapped around his neck.

She suppressed a worried scream and instead jumped to action, not yet noticing that Eddie, Nancy and Robin had all turned up as well.

She pulled out her gun, running over and shooting the creature on his side before beginning to rip the other one off.

Robin ran over, holding the bat around his neck down with an oar whilst Bea tried to rip it off with her bare hands but it wasn't working.

Eddie was holding another oar, beating off the bats until he saw one coming for Nancy. He called out for her and he turned around.

It was too late as the bat had attached itself to her back and Robin began to pull it off of the girl, leaving Steve and Bea for a second to fend for themselves.

His eyes were wide as they met with hers, both of them realising the gravity of the situation.  Steve had managed to grab it by the tail, biting into it so that it let go of his neck, Bea shooting it.

They were all breathless once they had managed to kill the three nats terrorising them, Steve beating one to death, spitting out the blood.

"Steve," she whispered as she rushed over, the boy all but collapsing in her arms, his hand on her shoulders for stability.

She pulled away from him, brows furrowed as she looked over his body, her eyes frozen on the two chunks missing from his abdomen.

"Oh god," she said, one hand still on his shoulder, as the other came up to her mouth, unable to contain the gasp "are you okay?"

"Well, they took a pound of flesh but other than that, I'm okay," he said, "What the hell were you thinking baby? Jumping down here like this?"

Bea scoffed, "What was I thinking? That I wasn't going to let the love of my life die, thats what I was thinking. And I was right to come down here," she exclaimed, annoyed that he was annoyed at her.

"You should have stayed on the boat, I would have been fine. I would have found a way to come back to you," he said, his voice raised slightly.

"And what if you hadn't?" She asked, her voice breaking as tears welled up in her eyes, "I can't lose you,"

"I know, I know baby. I'm sorry," he said, taking her hand in his, "I shouldn't have raised my voice, I was just so worried about you,"

"Promise me you won't die on me Harrington," Bea said, holding her pinger out towards him. He chuckled, interlocking his finger with hers

"Sorry, but uh, do you guys think these bats have like, rabies?" Robin asked and they turned to her, "Because I think we should get you to a doctor soon because once the symptoms set in, it's too late, you're already dead,"