017 | the mindflayer

Sunday, November 4th, 1984

STEVE SHONE HIS LIGHT AHEAD,  holding the flashlight in one hand and holding Bea's in another.

"You're positive that was dart?" Lucas asked as the five walked along, following the growling.

"Yes, he had the exact same yellow pattern on his butt," Dustin explained, sounding audibly annoyed. "Hes already molted three times today," Dustin said and Steve looked at him confused.

"Malted?" He questioned and Bea chuckled to herself,  squeezing his hand lightly.

"Molted, shed his skin to make room for growth, like a hornworm," Bea explained and Steve nodded, clearly still not understanding.

"When he molts again he'll be fully grown, or close to it," Dustin explained, shining his flashlight in front of him.

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats," Steve said and Bea mumbled to herself.

"Cheeky bastard ate my cat," she mumbled and Steve held in a laugh, listening to Dustin as he talked.

"Dart ate a cat!" Lucas exclaimed and they all stopped, Steve realising what he had said.

"No, he didn’t eat a cat," Dustin said and Steve looked at him confused.

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews," Steve explained and Bea sighed.

Max looked around confused for a second before turning to Steve and Bea.

"Mews, who's Mews?" Max asked and Bea sighed.

"It is- was- Dustin and Bea's cat," Steve explained and Bea looked at him annoyed.

"Steve!" Bea and Dustin yelled at the same time and he turned to look at Bea confused, looking at her as if he was silently asking what he had done wrong.

"He missed me, he wanted to come home," Dustin said and in that moment Bea really felt for him, he loved Dart even if it was kind of weird.

Lucas and Dustin were arguing about breaking the laws of the party and Steve heard screeching in the distance.

"Steve?" Bea asked as he started to walk off, Bea following him as she held his hand, not really wanting to let go.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asked as he stared into the distance.

"Can you hear that?" He asked and the two went silent and she heard it. The screeching.

"Guys!" Bea called out and the three all turned around to look at her. They all ran after the screeching, leaving a confused max behind to run after them.

"No, no, no, why are we heading towards the sound?" She asked before running after them.

Bea let go of Steves hand reluctantly as they both held their bats in hand. They stood at the tallest point in Hawkins, watching out at the forest as the screeching got louder.