005 | the flea and the acrobat

Friday, November 11th, 1983

THAT MORNING, BEA WOKE UP AND  trudged out of her room at the smell of eggs and bacon.

She opened the door to the kitchen and took in a sharp intake of breath when she saw her dad and Dustin smiling in the kitchen. She hoped they hadn't noticed her as she froze but her dad saw her, a huge grin on his face as he put the plates down and took his oven glove off.

"Hey Bea sweetheart, its been a while," her dad said as he wrapped his arms around a tense Bea who was on the verge of tears.

She wrapped her arms back around him lightly and he laughed, pulling away and looking at her.

"Wow sweetheart, I like the new highlights in you hair, how's school?" He asked and she looked over at Dustin who was grinning ear to ear. Bea sighed, putting a smile on before looking back at her dad.

"It's going really well, they say that with my grade thay I can get that internship after school at the police station," she explained and her dad laughed, handing her a plate.

"Come on. Your mums in the dining room, still in love with that cat," he said and Bea laughed, following him and Dustin.

After breakfast her dad was chatting with her mum when she heard an agitated Dustin in his room.

Bea knocked on the door 6 times in a rhythmic pattern and he told her to come in. Bea opened the door and sighed when she saw Dustin fiddling with his tie.

"Come here," she said and he smiled, walking over. She helped him put it on before brushing some lint off his shoulders.

"There, perfect," Bea said before hugging her little brother.

☆☆☆

ONCE THEY ARRIVED AT THE
funeral she rushed over to Jonathan, engulfing him in a hug and he hugged her back.

Bea turned to Joyce. Even though neither of them thought Will was dead they needed to keep it up, in case he was.

"I'm sorry about what happened to him," Bea said and Joyce smiled at Bea in her little black dress

"Its ok," she said with a smile and then her mum walked over, giving her condolences to Joyce. 

She moved over to her family and stood right behind Dustin, her parents behind her. She tediously listened to the pastor talking, bored already as she heard the three boys talking to each other.

Mikes mum told the boys to be quiet, still believing Will was dead. Half the people at the funeral, unknowingly to the others, didn't believe Will was actually dead.

After the service Bea was standing and talking to Jonathan about their plan to hunt the monster down when they were interrupted.

"That's not little Beatrice," a male voice said and Bea and Jonathan turned around to see Lonnie. Bea grimaced before flashing her best fake smile.