𝐎𝐧𝐞: 𝐖𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐜𝐞, 𝐖𝐫𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞

Holding the wall, Jazmine stammered out of the bathroom with her hand over her mouth. Her eyes were hot with tears, but she swallowed hard refusing to cry. He wouldn't get that satisfaction this time.

"Jaz!"

Daff ran out behind her shouting, drawing attention from the scattered crowd in the hall. He fumbled with his jeans, fastening them as he chased after her. It felt like her chest was caving in. She couldn't dare look in his direction. Her only thought at the moment was that she needed to get out of there.

"Jazmine, I can explain" he pleaded, finally catching up to her. Reaching out, he grabbed her by the elbow but she quickly snatched away.

"Don't touch me!"
She hadn't intended on yelling, but her emotions were rising like a tidal wave. Her stomach was doing backflips; it felt like she was going to vomit.

This wasn't the first time Daffyd had been unfaithful. During their 6 years together, she could no longer count on her fingers the times she'd heard of his infidelity. As much as she tried to deny it, deep down she knew the truth; but nothing could've prepared her for this. Seeing it with her own two eyes knocked the wind from her lungs.

"Baby" he called out to her, gripping her arm once again. This time she spun around slapping him across the face, leaving his cheek red.

"Fuck you" she spat at him in a venomous tone. The hit stunned him so much, that he stood frozen as she escaped. Seconds later her silhouette was lost in the sea of people, out of his sight. Her steps held purpose as she maneuvered through the crowd, making a beeline for the exit.

It wasn't until the cool evening breeze hit her skin that she exhaled. Tears spilled down her cheeks as she hunched over hugging herself. After years of letting him chip away at her, she'd finally shattered. This was her breaking point.

In the midst of her spiraling, she hadn't even noticed her friend Diamond follow out behind her. The moment her warm hands gripped Jaz by the arms, she shuttered assuming it was Daff.

"Hey, hey. What's going on?" Diamond asked sweetly. Jasmine's teary eyes looked up at her. Her expression was pitiful and she was shaking like a lost kitten. "What did he do?" she asked. Her second question came out with more determination. Diamond had a deep-seated hatred for Daff. That charm that everybody got sucked in with never fooled her. As soon as she saw Jazmine crying, she knew it was his doing.

"Just please get me out of here. I want to go" she cried out in response. Diamond wiped her wet face off with her thumbs, then helped her out to her car.

During the drive, Jazmine eventually calmed enough to tell Di what happened. How she'd drunkenly forgotten to knock before snatching open the bathroom door. How she found him with another girl bent over the sink and felt her heart rip in half. As bad as Diamond wanted to sing an I told you so, she knew now wasn't the time. Her body was filled with rage. How could he be so sick as to do this at her birthday party?

After some comforting words, they rode in silence. Di pulled up to her apartment and helped Jazmine inside, giving her a change of clothes and some water. They both curled up on the couch, and Jaz laid her head on Diamond's lap staring off blankly as tears rolled down her face. After a while, she could feel her start to stroke her hair, so she closed her eyes relaxing a bit.

How could she let it get this far? She thought to herself.

Daffyd was her college sweetheart. Back then things were simpler. He was just a humble little football player, riding on an athletic scholarship. She was the campus beauty, the spoiled rich girl, the valedictorian. Her parents always tried to convince her to date somebody more 'her speed', but she was in love with this sweet little country boy. He'd treated her like a goddess back then, because not only did she take a chance with him. She believed in his dreams.

Well, now that dream had come true. He was the QB of a top-tier NFL team, and that surge into the spotlight had done a lot to his self-esteem. He was like a different person now. Always in some scandal, some trouble, or some bullshit; and he was just dragging Jazmine along for the ride.

Back at the club, Daff didn't even bother going back into the bathroom. The girl came looking for him afterward near his section but he quickly told security not to let her pass. For the first time in a long time, he felt a little guilty. He had one too many drinks and slipped up. In his mind, there was an unspoken understanding between Jazmine and himself. As long as he kept that shit away from her they wouldn't have any problems, but this was at her event and she caught him red-handed. It was hard to ignore.

For a while, he looked around for her, but he figured she'd already left. Giving up, he sat back in his section and ordered a few more bottles.

"She left?" His homeboy Keith asked raising an eyebrow. He nodded in response. Chuckling, he shook his head taking a swig from his bottle before speaking again. "You a fucking gremlin bro"

All his friends were laughing it off and trying to raise his spirits. Daffyd played along drinking and partying a little more, but he knew they didn't want to say what they were thinking. How could he be so damn stupid?

Once the party had died down, Daff wasted no time hopping in his car and racing home. Somehow he'd convinced himself she'd be there, in bed waiting on him so they could talk this out. However, he'd come back to an empty house.

Sighing he plopped down on the couch running his hands over his face. For her to not even come back home, he knew this wasn't going to be another slap on the wrist. He'd certainly fucked up this time.