𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞: 𝐀𝐧 𝐚𝐜𝐨𝐫𝐧 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭

"You can just drop me back off at Diamond's house," Jazmine said as they sat at a stop light. They had stayed up the entire night before, and she didn't want to wake her, but she didn't want to speak to her parents. The last time she saw them her father and Daff got into it. She could already imagine the smugness on her dad's face.

"I'm bringing you to the hotel," Ant said shaking his head.

"What? Why?"

"Because Diamond gone let yo' simple-minded ass go back home. I need to keep an eye on you." He knew their dynamic well. No matter how much Di disapproved she was too passive. One boo-hoo cry and she'd tell Jaz to do what she wanted. That wasn't going down today.

"You've gotten really mean overtime bucko," she said folding her arms.

"And you're one acorn short of a nutcase."

"What does that even mean?"

He laughed to himself, not answering. They pulled into the lot of The London and he parked. She was tapping away at her phone as she pulled off her seatbelt. "Who you over there texting?"

"Diamond."

"You tell her I'm gone be your boyfriend for a couple of weeks?" He asked amused.

"Yeah, you know she won't shut up about it," Jazmine smiled as they both got out of the car.

He reached in the back, grabbed her bag then walked beside her into the hotel. "You remember when she locked us in the band room together?"

Jazmine cackled sliding her phone into her pocket. "Yes! Talking about divine intervention," she recalled thinking back to Junior year in high school. "And when she put you in a chokehold and made you ask me to prom-"

"After we were already going together!" He said finishing her thought. They both laughed loudly stepping onto the elevator. "She's something else. She still crazy as hell?"

"Absolutely. Now that's one acorn short of a nutcase," she joked.

It felt good to reminisce. Their lives had changed so much into adulthood she almost forgot how simple it'd been back then. Ant looked down at Jazmine as he pressed the button for his floor. She was looking down at her feet smiling brightly. It brought a smile to his face as well. "I'm not gone lie, I was mad you went to Senior prom with that one guy."

"Who Gerald?" She asked looking up at him and making a face. "Ugh, I'm mad at myself."

"You broke our pact, and for what?" He said rhetorically making the same face. "A white boy in khakis."

"Listen, it was a moment of weakness. He said he'd put me on with his cousin"

"He is not Trevor Jackson's cousin" He laughed loudly.

"I know that now! It could've been through marriage, you don't know!"

He was in an all-out fit, holding his stomach and howling. Jazmine swatted at him frowning. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. That shit will never be unfunny"

Once they got to the correct floor, he led her to his suite. It was humongous. Jazmine looked around, impressed, stepping out of her shoes. "Okay. This how R&B singers live?"

"You think this is nice, wait till you see my crib."

She held her chest and nodded. "Okay, Usher." Venturing off into the bathroom she was ogling the tub and spacious shower. "Oh yeah I don't mind staying here at all," she mumbled remembering how she'd asked to go to Diamond's. "This is nice."

"Stop acting like you've never been anywhere before."

"You're a killjoy, you know that?"

"I've been told," he said sarcastically, walking into the bathroom behind her. "You know if you really wanna make a headline we can take some shower pics together," he teased and nodded at the shower.

"Now if I said let's do it, what you gone say?" she asked calling his bluff.

"Take them clothes off."

She gasped pretending to cover herself up. "What has this industry done to my innocent little Anthonis?"

"I'm just joking, you still got the smell of shame on you," he shot back mushing her head and laughing his way back into the room.

"I hate you. Should I buy my ticket to Chicago, or-"

"We're flying private."

"Ah!" She shouted ghastly. "You boujee fuck!"

"Aight, fly yo ass in economy if you want to."

She poked her head out of the bathroom squinting. "I'll have you know I'm a first-class flyer."

"That just sounds like Economy Plus to me," he said trying not to laugh. She scoffed and shut the door behind her to use the bathroom. "You hungry?"

"Always!"

When she finished up, they got their things together and went to a spot not too far for food. As they stood in line, Jazmine noticed a group of young women sitting at a nearby table muttering amongst themselves. They were staring at her and Ant. At first, she wanted to ask what the hell they were looking at, but she had to remember who she was with.

Looking back up at Anthony, she smiled. "I think you got some fans here."

He turned his attention from the menu to Jaz, then to the table of girls. He instantly smiled and gave them a little wave.

"Oh my god hi!"
"Hi Tone!"
"Tone can we get a picture!?"

After they began shouting more people around them realized who he was. Jazmine chuckled to herself stepping aside.

"Of course!" He said without a thought waving them over. "Come on."

They all jumped out of their seats running over. Jaz covered her mouth giggling watching everybody suddenly fawn over him, it was surreal.

"Get in the picture too Jazmine!" One of them suddenly said. She was a little surprised, not thinking they'd even know who she was. Even with their latest press coverage, it was unexpected.

"I-"

"Come on," Ant said waving her over.

She bit her lip nervously and walked over leaning in frame to get in the girl's picture. They all got in close for the selfie; Jazmine was smiling sweetly, the girl opened her mouth wide sticking out her tongue and Ant made a silly face. It made Jazmine laugh as soon as the camera snapped.

"Girl, you are so pretty," the woman said looking at the picture and then at Jaz.

"Thank you so are you!" She beamed.

"I just wanna say y'all would be so cute together," she announced abruptly before her friend hit her arm. "What! I'm just saying."

"Come on. Thank you, Tone!" The friend said followed by them all thanking him and scurrying off.

Jaz laughed again shaking her head. "This is so strange."

She was used to some attention. Usually, they were football fans, or people interested in fashion. With Ant it was different, he was a household name. The encounter left her in a daze.

"You ready for all that?" He asked nudging her.

She smirked up at him and nodded. "I think I could get used to it."