𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞: 𝐅𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐎𝐟𝐟 ~ 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐎𝐧𝐞

Their flight was landing on the tarmac as the time in California reached 7:30 am. As expected Jazmine was fast asleep the entire flight. He had to drag her out of bed to be on time again. Luckily she'd spent the night prior packing, so they were right on time.

When they landed, she slowly got up and stretched. "We're here already?" she asked rubbing her eyes.

"Mmhm." Grabbing the handle of her suitcase, he slung his duffle on the opposite side and led her down the steps.

A car was waiting for them outside. Once they were loaded up, they rode to The London quietly. Jazmine spent the ride in and out of sleep.

When they got to the hotel, they checked in and went straight to the room. Jaz wasted no time kicking off her shoes and climbing into bed. The only thing on her mind was sleep. Anthony showered, changed, and left out. He went to enterprise to rent a car, then stopped on the way back for food. By the time he returned Jazmine was half-awake watching a Netflix series.

"Morning," he said letting the door close behind him. She grunted back. "I'm heading to my meeting soon, and I'll probably be out all day, so I got a rental so you can go out and handle your shit." He was aware of her plans to go see Daffyd. He didn't think it was the best idea, but there was no way he'd be able to talk her out of it. The least he could do is make sure she was mobile, so she wouldn't have to wait on a ride if things went left. "There's a party downtown tonight, if you want to go. I should be back by then."

"Sure, we can go." She nodded then focused on the bag of take-out in his hand. "What you got?"

"Some Roscoe's," he shot back sitting on the bed. She rubbed her hands together emerging from the covers.

They ate their food, watch some tv and relaxed for a bit. It wasn't long before a car arrived for Anthony. By 9 he was off to his meeting, leaving her there alone.

When she finally felt she was fully awake, she got up and picked out her outfit for the day. There was really no solid plan on what reason she'd use to see Daff. She wasn't even solid on what she'd do when she got there. Her only focus then and there was she had to look delicious.

After doing her makeup and throwing on some long wispy lashes, she got dressed. She pulled on a black romper from her spring collection. It was trimmed with electric green and hugged every curve of her body. Tugging at the front zipper, it hugged her even tighter. She left it open just between her breasts, giving herself tasteful cleavage.

"I look the fuck good," she said to the mirror turning to look at her ass. After that she slipped off her scarf letting her two-toned hair drop to her shoulders.

Once she hyped herself up enough she grabbed her phone. When Daff's name was visible on the screen there was a hesitation. She wasn't sure what to say to him after so long. Especially since the last message was the one he'd sent the night of the music event.

Should she call? No, that would be too nerve wrecking. What should she text him then?

A few more seconds passed of her thinking it over, but she couldn't keep being nervous like this. The text message was short and to the point:

Hey, I'm in town. Stopping by to grab a few things.

The message went from delivered to read almost instantly. A response bubble appeared, then disappeared quickly. Finally a thumbs up appeared in the corner of her message. Cool.

Throwing on her sneakers, she grabbed the keys and made her way out.

In a short 15 minutes she was outside of the house, her home. Daff's car was parked in the driveway beside her own that she'd left behind. She pulled in behind it and took a deep breath getting out of the car.

As soon as she got to the door, Daffyd twisted the lock opening it. He froze for a moment looking her over.

"Damn," he muttered under his breath. Shaking his head, he stepped aside. He hadn't anticipated her looking this good. "You cut your hair? It looks nice."

"Thank you," Jazmine said keeping a straight face. The way his eyes were following her gave her a sense of pride. She wanted to smile, but she was on a mission. "I just need a few pairs of shoes, I won't be long."

As she spoke, she looked over him once then to the room.

"Some shoes?" He asked with a chuckle. "Going somewhere special?"

She ignored him continuing through the room and to the closet. Everything was exactly how she'd left it. A sigh left her lips. This was where her life had been for two years. Now it felt tainted and unfamiliar.

Taking a small bag, she grabbed a few pair of her more expensive heels. It wouldn't make sense if she'd just grabbed anything. She crouched down looking over what was left of her collection.

"You gone be a while?" Daff asked, standing in the doorway of the closet.

Jaz looked up at him raising an eyebrow. "Why? You got plans?" She questioned sarcastically.

"Actually, I do. Me and-"

"Oh." Jaz interrupted with a chuckle. "I didn't really care for an answer."

He made a face, then laughed awkwardly. "I take it you're still mad."

"Not at all, I'm used to your shit. I guess I thought you would change but," pausing she shrugged then looked up at him. There was no sadness or anger in her eyes. She showed no emotion. "That's my fault, not yours. So I forgive you. I'm not gonna force you to change for me."

Furrowing his eyebrows, he stepped towards her. She looked away continuing to look through her shoes. "You been gone a month, how you know I ain't changed."

She didn't respond. Instead she stood and made her way out of the room. He insisted on following behind her.

"You really just gone pop in and out of here like that?" He started, grabbing her hand. She sighed and turned her attention to him. "You don't miss me?"

"Daff, I'm not thinking about you." As she spoke she shrugged her hand away, "I need to focus on myself right now." She could see his eyes studying her. He was assessing her before he responded.

"Why you gotta focus on yourself in a whole other state? And why around ol' dude?" His hands moved to her waist as he spoke. "Be real with me. What's going on with you."

He'd initially planned on being indifferent to her. He would brush her off and let her go in and out as she pleased. He figured if she saw he didn't care, she'd break. What he didn't plan for was her showing up like this. The new look was doing her justice, and it had him at her heels. Why not just cut the middle man and convince her to stay right then.

"He's just supporting me..." she said in a low voice. Her eyes met his and her gaze looked much less intimidating. "I wanted to be back home; back in my hometown. I haven't felt like myself for a long time."

It looked as if she was letting her guard down. She ain't change that much, he thought. Still, he didn't want to be too obvious. He couldn't let on that he knew it was all a ruse.

"You fucking him?" He asked trying to sound as concerned as he could.

She wrapped her arms around his neck. He was waiting for her to outright tell him no. His hand ran up and down her sides slowly, bringing her closer. This was it, she was going to break.

Then she raised her eyebrows slowly, acting like she was stunned by his question.

"I don't think that's any of your business..."