𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞: 𝐕𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐨 𝐕𝐢𝐱𝐞𝐧

When Anthony got her text message, he shook his head. No wonder Daffyd had a field day playing with her; this girl was ridiculous. He couldn't understand how after he was so cold to her, she would turn around and send him a message like that. He sighed running his hand over his face.

"What the hell did I get myself into?" He muttered to himself. She wasn't responsible for his feelings, he knew that. She wasn't even aware of them. Still, every time he remembered the point of all this was for that other nigga, he felt like he'd lose his mind. It reminded him that Jazmine didn't see him the way he saw her.

Tossing his phone aside, he laid back staring at the ceiling. The way she was so weak-minded running after that man made him resentful. How could somebody so smart be so stupid? Still, it didn't turn him off enough to kill these emotions.

If he could just focus on getting through this publicity stunt he would let Jaz go back to California and forget about all of this. It would be like it never happened and he could finally move on with his life. Maybe this time he could let go for good.

The next day he met up with his manager and staff for the music video. They storyboarded an idea that seemed to fit the song. Not caring much about the outcome Anthony approved. The video needed a female counterpart. When the topic came up, they looked at Ant intently.

"We in Miami, it shouldn't be hard to find some video girl. Throw some bread out and catch a bird," he responded uninterested.

Melvin made a face, then made the intentions clear. "The label thinks it'd be a good idea to have Jaz in the video."

"That's a little too on the nail, don't you think?" Ant said with a chuckle.

"You know I don't want you tied to her," Mel agreed, shaking his head. "But since this song is riding the coattails of your relationship, I think on the nail would be good."

"Jaz ain't a video vixen, she's shy. I don't think she'd do it," he rebutted.

"Well, the label isn't funding the video unless she's in it."

Anthony let out a long breath. The next day Jazmine was on a flight. When she landed, he was waiting in a car on the curb. She'd flown what Ant would call economy plus. It felt strange to be walking through the airport again. Not only because she'd gotten used to flying private, but people recognized her now. They took pictures and stopped her to talk. She was overwhelmed.

Walking out, she felt excited to lay eyes on Anthony. She wanted to run up and hug him, but the way they left things was awkward. She chewed at the inside of her lip the entire ride to their hotel.

As they were settling in, she mustered enough courage to speak up. "So, what's the video going to be like?"

"You gone be a regular video vixen, just stand around being pretty," he shrugged. His eyes were glued to Twitter.

Sitting on the bed, Jaz played with the ends of her hair. The tension was getting to her. "Can you just tell me what I did wrong," she mumbled.

"What?" Ant asked, looking up at her. He wasn't trying to be a smart ass. Earnestly, he hadn't heard her. Still, she felt annoyed.

"What did I do to you?" She shouted standing up. "I know you don't like Daff but that doesn't mean you have to be a dick to me!"

"I'm not being a dick to you, stop acting childish."

"You childish! You're 24 years old giving me the silent treatment! Who does that?"

"You're 25 chasing after a nigga that don't give a fuck about you Jaz, who does that?"

"Whyyyy do you care soooo much? You weren't there when shit was good between us, you don't get to come out of the blue and judge him."

"I'm not about to argue with your delusional ass. Soon as y'all back on good terms I ain't gone hear from you again," Ant scoffed looking back down at his phone. "Shit don't even matter."

"That's not true," Jazmine said breathlessly. Walking over to him, she put her hand over his phone screen. "Anthony, that's not true. You're still my best friend."

"Diamond's your best friend. Yo man ain't even know I existed. You forgot I existed until I came up. Let's stop dancing around this shit and call it what it is. I'm more famous than your nigga, so I was a good stand-in to piss him off. You don't give a fuck about me."

"That's not true!"

"Then what was it?" He asked shrugging. "Why I get left in the dust soon as you find a Lil nigga to chase behind."

"Because I kept comparing him to you, Ant." She blurted out. As much as she wanted to take it back, it was too late. "You were all I knew, and you set the bar so high-." She finally confessed. "I liked him so much, but every time you'd call me or text me it was like he didn't exist. How could I date anybody if all I could think about was you? It's bad enough that everybody thinks men and women can't be friends. It felt messy. It confused me."

Anthony was at a crossroads. A part of him was elated to hear that she thought of him fondly, but one annoying thing replayed in his head. "I set the bar too high, so you lowered it for that nigga?"

Jaz blinked, a little taken back. "Excuse me?"

"Instead of finding a better nigga, you just cut me off?" He asked nodding. "Dumbest shit I ever heard."

"You don't get it."

"I don't," he agreed. "I don't get you at all Jazzy, cuz you don't think. Nothing you do makes fucking sense. Did you get dropped on your head?"

Clenching her jaw, she suddenly swatted his phone to the floor. "Fuck you, Anthony."

He couldn't help but laugh. She was an enigma that even she couldn't figure out. This girl was beyond clueless. "You need to grow up, for real."

"I'm a grown ass woman."

"Yeah?" He questioned with a chuckle. "Fucking act like it then."

"Is it so bad that I want to see the best in somebody I love? What's so bad about giving somebody a second chance?"

"That Nigga ain't good for you Jazmine! And for some reason everybody can se it but you," Ant shouted standing up.

He towered over Jazmine by at least a foot. She felt the urge to shrink but stood with her head tall. "You don't get to decide what's good for me," she said in a low voice. "And I don't care how you feel about what I decide; if we're friends again, be my fucking friend."

This argument suddenly felt stupid. Not only was she unsure if Daffyd would even come around, she realized he didn't matter right now. This whole thing started because Anthony felt like she'd disappear as soon as she got the chance. What was important was that he knew that wouldn't happen again. Those two days away from him alone left her feeling uneasy.

"Yes you gave me an advantage over Daffyd, yes it was good timing, but I'm not doing this because you're some stupid celebrity. I did this with you because I trust you with my life and my reputation. And I haven't been happy in years the way I've been happy spending time with you. So stop being a dick to me. I'm not going anywhere."

As she spoke, Anthony's anger melted away. He looked away laughing under his breath. "You make me so fucking mad sometimes man."

Rolling her eyes she got on her tiptoes and hugged him tightly. He leaned down hugging her back.

"I love you," he muttered into her hair holding her tighter. The words fell off his lips so effortlessly.

"I love you too." She pulled back a little and held his face. When she said it back she chuckled but meeting his gaze her heart thumped.

They stayed like that, frozen in time. His hands rested on her waist and he leaned his forehead against hers. It felt like they were both waiting for something to happen and when it didn't the air became overwhelming.

Pulling away, he gave an awkward smile. "Get some rest. I need a top-tier video vixen tomorrow."

Just like that, he was sucked back in.