~:Chapter 38:~

Warning: Potential harmful language 

"We need to go. Now!" Zach urged her. Claire, however, couldn't stop looking at his mangled face. She looked at the stitches in horror.

"W-What did they do to you?" She asked him.

"It doesn't matter! We need to go now. They know she's dead... they're coming any second." He said. She nodded in response, following behind him as they took off running down the hallway. The pair reached a blocked double door, which caused them to come to a stop.

"S-Shit!" Zach hissed. 

"Try the other side... Maybe we can cut through the theatre?" Claire asked. Zach glanced around before he nodded, turning to the right and running straight ahead, coming into direct contact with the pair of doors that led into the large auditorium; however, the doors wouldn't budge, even as the two slammed into them.

"S-Shit... They're locked!" Zach hissed.

"W-What do we do?!" Claire asked.

"There has to be a way in and out..." Zach thought aloud. "B-But... where? Everything is locked or blocked off..." He grunted.

"They got us into here somehow..." Claire said. "What about the science building?!"

"You're right... but that's on the opposite side of the theatre... we'd have to go back passed the room. I don't think we'd make it without running into the rest of the family." Zach sighed.

"Shit," Claire muttered.

"MY DAUGHTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 

Claire and Zach heard the mother's scream echo through the hallways. It radiated nothing but pure anguish and anger, enough to send shivers directly down Claire's spine.

"We need to go back that way." Claire pleaded with him. "Adam's still trapped there!"

"W-We can't..."

"B-But!"

"There you are!" 

Claire and Zach both turned to look at the end of the hallway where the girl stood, staring down at them. Next to her were two girls, each holding large daggers.

"We need to go!" Zach said, reaching into his pocket to pull out another monkey, which he briefly wound up and threw as the two sisters charged forward, coming to a halting stop as the monkey exploded, filling the hallway with a cloud of smoke. In all of the chaos, Claire could feel herself being grabbed by Claire, taken through a door on the side of the hallway.

Zach and Claire both slid a shelf containing numerous cleaning supplies against the door as soon as the door shut. It wouldn't be enough to stop anyone from entering, but it would buy them some time. The two backed up, catching their breaths as they stared at the barricaded door.

"Where the hell did you get a smoke bomb?!" Claire asked.

"Made a little trip to my locker," Zach said. "Never used this in class... at least they came in handy." He grunted.

"Fair enough." Claire sighed. "Now, how are we going to get out of here?" She asked him, glancing around the small but full janitor's closet. She searched for any sign of escape yet, was met with nothing but miscellaneous cleaning supplies amongst the many wooden shelves. Her eyes finally spotted a large vent in the ceiling.

"H-hey! Look!" She pointed up at the vent. "Help me get this off!" She asked him. He nodded, climbing up one of the many shelves and grabbing onto it, attempting to shake it loose. 

"I can't get it off; it's screwed on... Hey, see if you can find a screwdriver or something." He asked, reaching his hand down and motioning towards one of the shelves. Claire nodded, quickly searching through the many boxes of tools and other objects until finally, her hand stopped on a small toolkit, which she opened up.