~:Chapter 42:~

"Everything's barricaded," Claire said with a sigh. "Trust me, there's no way you're going to get any of those doors open," Claire said, pulling around from the corner down the hallway, looking at the large pair of double doors under a glowing theatre sign. 

"We'll find a way. We have to." Amelia said.

"You realize this is... a really bad idea, right?" Claire asked, already getting second thoughts about trailing behind Amelia.

"Yeah, so?"

"So?!" Claire asked. "We're probably going to die?!"

"Shut up!" Amelia hissed. "You chose to be here. If you want to walk away now, fine, but I'm doing this." She turned to stare at Claire. 

"I just..." Claire started to say but hesitated. "I don't want to see you get hurt." She sighed. Amelia just shook her head in response.

"I already am." She said with a sigh. "I just... need to find him." She crossed her arms as she glanced over her shoulder. She had a sense of solid stubbornness; Claire knew she wouldn't change her mind, which scared her. Amelia knew nothing of what it was like in there. She didn't know anything about what she'd go up against, so, without Claire, she'd be clueless, yet, Claire couldn't decide if it'd even matter. It was certain death for them if they entered.

Even though it seemed like such a clear, obvious choice for Claire to turn away, she felt something drawing her back even though her body wanted her to turn away, run as far away as she could from this place and retreat into safety. Claire couldn't decide if it was her fear of guilt for turning away or if she genuinely wanted to save Adam and protect Amelia. Maybe it was a combination of the both? She felt so conflicted that she was faced with another massive choice she didn't want to make.

"Amelia..." Claire whispered. "Please, just think about this for a second." She said in a soft voice.

"I have!" Amelia snapped back at her. "Don't you dare try to get me to doubt my choice!" She growled at her.

"I- I'm not!" Claire took a step back in surprise. "It's just-."

"Just what? You don't want to face him after you left him behind? Is that it?!" Amelia shouted at her. Immediately, Claire felt her stomach twist into knots as she stared at the girl in disbelief. Her mouth hung ajar, yet, no sound came out of it. She stared back at her with widened eyes, confused. Claire couldn't help but think: Was she right?

"I-I'm sorry... I didn't mean that." Amelia quickly responded, covering a hand over her mouth. "I-" She trailed off as the sound of a door opening alerted them, scattering the conflicted thoughts in Claire's head like a swarm of flies. Immediately, Claire tugged Amelia back around the corner, both close to each other against the hallway wall as the tapping of numerous light footsteps echoed out in the hallway.

Claire could feel her heart beating wildly in her chest as the footsteps grew louder and louder as they neared, holding her breath not to make a peep, praying under her breath that whoever it was didn't notice them. Her heart pounded in her chest, almost to the point where it was painful as the footsteps sounded right next to them, continuing down the hallway where, like Claire's intense heartbeat, eventually subsided.

She opened her eyes again, looking out at the perpendicular hallway and carefully glancing around the corner, seeing a small group of black figures, which she immediately recognized as the daughters from the outlines of their frilly and victorian-styled attire. They walked side by side, the four forming a square shape in the front while a single one trailed behind.

"Who the hell is that?" Amelia whispered.

"Her daughters..." Claire whispered back. "But... where are they going?"